Ins & Outs of a Production Deal

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My studio would like to sign a couple artist to a production deal. We want to write,produce,video& shop a deal. Where can I get info on doing such deals......? Books? internet? etc..

Thanks

JE

• Members

some good books are Confessions of a record producer by Moses Avalon; or All you need to know about the music business by Donald Passman; or if you want to go hardcore there is "this business of music" by Kraslovsky. this will tell you plenty of customary routines and things to watch out for among plenty of other things. let me just say that there are no rules about what goes in a contract. if I make a contract saying that everything you create musically and all money you earn by whatever means belongs to me and only me and then you sign it, then its a deal. if i sign a contract to pay you a million dollars for you to pick my nose, its a deal. hopefully you are an honest guy and the people you are dealing with are honest too, that way no one will try to sneak some {censored} into the contract. you'd be amazed how one whole sentence can make the 4 pages prior to it completely invalid.

Archived