Need some advice on relocating and networking....

EcHoplex

• Members

What are some tips you all might have before relocating to a new area? If you were on your own, how would you go about promoting yourself? Where would you go other than the obvious places like music stores etc.?

Also, what are some suggestions you might have on putting together a resume. Should I make a press kit up of myself or just make a cd of some of the work I've done? Do you think it's even necessary? All the gigs I've ever gotten in the past we're through connections and word of mouth. The places that had classified ads listed and so on never did anything for me. Again, I'm just looking to economize my energy and efforts in the best possible way so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance...:D

• Members

Originally posted by EcHoplex

What are some tips you all might have before relocating to a new area? If you were on your own, how would you go about promoting yourself? Where would you go other than the obvious places like music stores etc.?

Also, what are some suggestions you might have on putting together a resume. Should I make a press kit up of myself or just make a cd of some of the work I've done? Do you think it's even necessary? All the gigs I've ever gotten in the past we're through connections and word of mouth. The places that had classified ads listed and so on never did anything for me. Again, I'm just looking to economize my energy and efforts in the best possible way so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance...
:D

If you're relocating, put together a press kit, and assume clubs in the new area will require them. That way, you're prepared if they do want them, and if the clubs don't need one, you'll be sure to impress by having one ready for them to see.

As far as networking, go to a site like garageband.com or mp3.com, and find bands with tastes similar to yours in the area you'll be relocating to. Chat them up and see if you can make "friends" with them. If you're lucky, you might be offered an opening for one or more of them - if you are be sure to return the favor.

• Members

Thanks Rob.

Let me ask this again: If you were on your own, how would you go about promoting yourself (as in no band)? Where would you go other than the obvious places like music stores etc.? Besides putting up flyers about yourself etc. - what are some other effective ways to market oneself? Thanks...

• Members

Thanks Rob.

Let me ask this again: If you were on your own, how would you go about promoting yourself (as in no band)? Where would you go other than the obvious places like music stores etc.? Besides putting up flyers about yourself etc. - what are some other effective ways to market oneself? Thanks...

This is where getting to know people in other bands is critical. There will always be personnel changes in bands, and if they know you're available, they'll call you themselves, or pass your name to people in need of musical talent.

Apart from that, hit the local guitar shops and post flyers about being available. Maybe even take out a classified ad in the local alternative paper.

• Members

Thanks Rob. I see your from Chicago. What's the music scene like there? I'm actually originally from Illinois. I used to live in a little town called Morris about 20 minutes from Joliet. Ever heard of Morris...hahahaha....probably not.:D

Anyway, thanks again. Anyone else got any ideas???

• Members

Thanks Rob. I see your from Chicago. What's the music scene like there? I'm actually originally from Illinois. I used to live in a little town called Morris about 20 minutes from Joliet. Ever heard of Morris...hahahaha....probably not.
:D

Anyway, thanks again. Anyone else got any ideas???

Actually I'm new to the Chicago area. I moved here about 8 months ago to be with my wife.

The music scene seems to be pretty good. Lots of clubs that book live acts. I'm actually beginning my networking myself now, but it looks like if you've got a live band, there's a good chance you can get a gig if you ask around.

I know vaguely of the Joliet area. My in-laws live in Elwood.

• Members

cool. I wish you luck. Chicago is a great place...it's like a mini-New York for the most part....lots of variety.

It's been awhile since I've been to Illinois. I'm sure it's still the same and cold as ever....hahaha.

Anyway, yeah I just got enegaged recently myself and more than likely will be moving to a new area with my "future wife". I'm looking to get more into studio work and just be a hired gun. I think it would be way more appealing in the long haul. I'm just gonna let the chips fall where the may and see what happens.

:)

Archived