Collaboration agreements...

EcHoplex

• Members

I need some advice on what to do with some songs I wrote with an ex-bandmate. In total, we wrote 3 songs together. What do I need to do first so I'm protected? I wrote most of the music, and assisted with the vocal melody and he wrote all the lyrics and muscially wrote a bridge and 2nd verse in one of the songs. What do we need to do besides copyright the songs?

It's also my understanding that collaborators do not necessarily need each others permission to get liscense's for their songs. What can some of you tell me about your experiences with this? Thanks in advance!!! :)

• Members

on the copyright form specify a percentage of work provided by each author. or you could go the band member a did lyrics, band member b did music. or there is another option of splitting the song up by music, lyrics, and arrangement. these would each be a third and then you could specify who contributed what section (of the three) or the percentage of each section they provided. there is no wrong way or right way it just depends on what you decide is the right way for you.

Archived