Home recording

Roderico

• Members

Okay, i listened to hammond and darius.

Both have something goin on in the background that resembles backtracking, backmasking, or perhaps subliminals? If not i'd lose it as it detracts (in my oppinion) from the musicianship.

I liked the mixes from a different p[erspective. Seems you have uncovered the basic trick the beatles used back in the 60's by adding some mids and taking away som lower freqs. Makes things cleaner in the mix and it stands out without swamping my lil ol pc speakers.

I would also raise the vocals up a notch as they sometimes seem to dissappear in things.

Overall its as good as alot of what i hear.

• Members

I gave a 2-3 minute listen to each track. Sound quality is quite good considering you only used 2 mics.

I would use this as a helpful tool to record your songs and then listen back to critique it.

I would not use this as a demo you need much more definition, especially on the vocals.

However as home recordings go, pretty good and this could be quite useful.

Since I've been down this road too over the years there is a temptation to get more mics and equipment to improve the production quality. Unless your willing to spend hours upon hours tweaking the sound and then only getting something nominally better (production wise) stick to what you've got. Two mics is simple and you can hear just about everything. Then you can concentrate on songwriting and playing as opposed to being a studio engineer. (Unless of course that's where an interest lies.)

Archived