this bears repeating

the haze

• Members

All Dj's dont suck, most do though.

I DJd for 8 years and then quit because all the wack ass DJs who gave DJing a bad name. You know who you are! The DJs who only bought 2 records a week ago and act like they are the next superstar. The DJs who havent paid their dues yet look down their noses at seasoned veterans.

I think it comes from the fact that anybody can DJ. All it takes is two records. Most people have a hard time telling a bad DJ from a good one so the bad ones end up thinking they are good for some reason.

• Members

Originally posted by the haze

DJd for 8 years and then quit because all the wack ass DJs who gave DJing a bad name.

I'm sorry for saying so, but that sure is a lame reason to stop spinning... Sure there are the people out there who buy a dj in a box and a few records off the wall and all of a sudden think and talk like they're friggin' qbert or someone... But let that just be their problem, don't make it yours too. It's pretty easy to tell when someone knows what they're talking about and when they're full of {censored}, and most people who do know what they're doing don't need to brag about it to make themselves feel better.

And while many can't tell the difference between a good dj and a bad one, not too many bad dj's are frequently heard by many people... The bad ones might dilute the whole dj community thing a little bit, but I don't think all this should be taken nearly so seriously. Especially not so seriously that someone should disassociate themselves from the whole thing because a few morons don't know when to shut up.

• Members

There are people who suck at anything... don't even get me started when I was trying out guitarists for my band. Or some of the bands I have tried out for... talk about sucking {censored}. I really see little difference between DJ culture and rock culture.. theres the great unknown people, the great known people, the {censored}e known people, and the {censored}e bedroom hobbyists. I've only been djing for about 6 months but I will go ahead and disrespect the older guys and say I can mix better than Paul Jokenfold the worlds '#1 DJ' according to rolling stone. (Wonder if Sasha or Diggers, Cox, Tenaglia, Q-bert, etc might have something to say about that)

• Members

Originally posted by 6ftabovsealevel

I'm sorry for saying so, but that sure is a lame reason to stop spinning...

More specifically, I quit DJ'ng to concentrate on producing music. I just had spent too much time, money, and effort on DJ'ng and I got sick of seeing wack-ass, no talent DJ's get ahead just because they "know somebody". The DJ scene ceased to be about talent, it's now about "who you know".

• Members

it's both. There are plenty of marquee dj's who have MAD talent AND skillz. I don't need to name names, cause you can think of your own. there's a {censored}LOAD of them.

the people that suck are obviously around cause they know people, but the people with skills earned their places.

• Members

Originally posted by the haze

More specifically, I quit DJ'ng to concentrate on producing music. I just had spent too much time, money, and effort on DJ'ng and I got sick of seeing wack-ass, no talent DJ's get ahead just because they "know somebody". The DJ scene ceased to be about talent, it's now about "who you know".

Okay, that makes sense I guess. Sorry if that sounded crass or anything...

Archived