Toughest Job You'll Ever Love: (Rant) Artists in the Music Biz

• Members

I keep hearing people say (average Joe's and the media) that music artists are into being in a band for the easy life style, girls, and money. Here is my take on this and I am not talking about the U2s of the world who have already paid there respective dues, but about the little guy trying to make it: music is the hardest business to be in, but is the most rewarding artistically.

Ok, there are different reasons to get into the biz whether it be girls, dreams of money and fame or for creative reasons. There are easier ways to get girls and make money. Money and fame are always in the back of your mind but reality dictates that few of us will ever get there. Creative reasons are why a lot of us jump into this crazy biz. But the bottom line is this - it is not an easy business no matter why you get into it - but is one that we all love and would continue to do it even if we went no where.

Example: We book our own gigs, write and play only original material, promote our own gigs and releases, record our own CDs, produce and distribute our own music, haul heavy gear around (we are gear junkies), buy equipment out of pocket with day job money that would be better spend elsewhere, stay out late doing gigs but get up and go to work the next day, rehearse to keep sharp and in a hot as hell little studio, practice on our own, sacrifice valuable family time for the band, write on our own, and I could keep going on. To do this month in and month out - going into year in and year out is a hell of a lot of work and makes for a brutal lifestyle, especially as we get older.

I'm not complaing though, I love it and wish I could spend more time doing it! Musicians must have some kind of high pain threshold. So the next time someone says "musicians are lazy and want the easy life" and I do hear this, tell them that it is the hardest job in the world and even the big rock stars paid their dues! Being on the road sucks but the fans make it worth while!

Any thoughts from anybody??

• Members

The whole "musicians are lazy" thing seems to come from people who either don't play an instrument, or do but have never investigated what it takes to be *serious* about being in the bizness.

Also - some musicians ARE into it for the chicks, etc. Specifically, for their ego. Sad truth. I've found that hoping otherwise tends to lead to getting burned. ;)

• Members

Great post!!!

I agree with you 100%. For anybody out there who decides to be a professional musician, be prepared to pay your dues for a very long time....even at the risk of no financial gain.

By far the hardest business to break into. There's not a set roadmap to success like there are for other career choices and therein lies the difficulty. It's not like going to college and getting a degree, making good grades with the guarantee of landing a job when you finish. If a person chooses a music career, they'd better like adventure and be emotionally thick-skinned if they plan on surviving because that's the ultimate test. Ask yourself everyday: How much am I willing to put up with to complete the journey so to speak?:)

• Members

echoplex, that's exactly what's been going through my head lately. i started playing music just for fun and acceptance cause alot of my friends did, but then i started writing and realizing hey i'm pretty good at this. so i started doing it more and more and now at 18, it totally consumes my time...i rarely can ever go more than a minute literally without thinking about what i could change in a certain song or what can i do to get to that next level musically...i am now facing that choice of should i go and get a degree in music business and performance or should i get a "regular" degree and use it as a way to ensure my financial stability should music not be enough. Because of my financial situation, i decided to go to the local community college to get my core classes to save some money in case i do go to belmont. (the private music school in nashville) but i don't know which i should pursue. i know its a little OT but i think it pertains in the sense of sacrificing a stable career choice for music as a career choice. i think all musicians have to come to a point where they "count the cost" of being a serious musician, ya know? anyways i know i had to at one point.

• Members

incubass, i'm a current student at belmont, and I can't say I'd recommend going there for music unless you go into the school of music business- a music degree really wont help you much if you study guitar diligently on your own.

• Members

Originally posted by dallasmopar

I keep hearing people say (average Joe's and the media) that music artists are into being in a band for the easy life style, girls, and money. Here is my take on this and I am not talking about the U2s of the world who have already paid there respective dues, but about the little guy trying to make it: music is the hardest business to be in, but is the most rewarding artistically.

Ok, there are different reasons to get into the biz whether it be girls, dreams of money and fame or for creative reasons. There are easier ways to get girls and make money. Money and fame are always in the back of your mind but reality dictates that few of us will ever get there. Creative reasons are why a lot of us jump into this crazy biz. But the bottom line is this - it is not an easy business no matter why you get into it - but is one that we all love and would continue to do it even if we went no where.

Example: We book our own gigs, write and play only original material, promote our own gigs and releases, record our own CDs, produce and distribute our own music, haul heavy gear around (we are gear junkies), buy equipment out of pocket with day job money that would be better spend elsewhere, stay out late doing gigs but get up and go to work the next day, rehearse to keep sharp and in a hot as hell little studio, practice on our own, sacrifice valuable family time for the band, write on our own, and I could keep going on. To do this month in and month out - going into year in and year out is a hell of a lot of work and makes for a brutal lifestyle, especially as we get older.

I'm not complaing though, I love it and wish I could spend more time doing it! Musicians must have some kind of high pain threshold. So the next time someone says "musicians are lazy and want the easy life" and I do hear this, tell them that it is the hardest job in the world and even the big rock stars paid their dues! Being on the road sucks but the fans make it worth while!

Any thoughts from anybody??

I agree mostly, though I would add this: Creativity is a large part, but you must admit that ego plays a large part as well. You can be just as creative painting, drawing, or writing, but in those pursuits there is not the instant feedback and stroking you get from a job well done. Let me assure you, if thousands of fans made millionaires out of people who could pack an arena with people to watch them oilpaint, you'd see a lot of kids selling thier guitars and buying easels and paint sets. Music is a commodity that can be mass promoted and shaped by profiteers, and as long as there's money and fame in it, you'll get a bazillion people wanting to do it.

• Members

Great thread! Most people have no idea how difficult it can be to pursue music as a career. I've played clubs for 20 years plus and am currently on a sabbatical (self-imposed) because I needed to take a step back and take stock of things. I'm someone who kept their eggs completely in one basket, I dropped out of college to play and didn't think of anything else but music. (And women of course!) In hindsight, I wouldn't recommend not having something to fall back on, but it's good to have faith in your abilities! As was stated earlier because of "the prize", big money, fame, women, cars etc etc. millions of people are strapping on guitars and figuring that within 6 months they can play well enough and be a rock star. (Ok a year-ha ha!) But after awhile they realize, oh wow this is going to take some work!( No {censored}!) And that's just the beginning, because as you know there are no guarantees whatsoever in this business. I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd still be playing clubs well into my 30's, but up here in Alaska it was possible to make a living solely on my music and after working my ass off sacrificing so much of my time in California it sounded appealing to come up here. Looking back on the whole thing I blew it by spending way too much time drinking (finally had to quit and now am in recovery for 5 years) and the dreams of making it evaporated. The odds are never with us who want to reach the pinnacle, but there are many fulfilling places musically besides that arena believe me! If you love your instrument like I do it's the best sanctuary to have and it can and will take you places. But as you know you HAVE to love it otherwise the whole lifestyle is insane. If you've found two or three players that you get along with and share a similar musical vision, consider yourself blessed and treasure what you have. And by all means-work your asses off and do it! Good luck!

-Alaskanblue

Archived