And speaking of outrageous ticket prices......

Kingnome

• Members

.....just a sampling from a local venue....

Arlo Guthrie............$30.

Kathy Mattea..........$36.50

Jeff Foxworthy........$36.50

George Carlin.........$39.

George Jones.........$42.

Sawyer Brown........$52.50

Dwight Yoakum.......$62.50

Johnny Mathis.........$74.50

And the biggest, newest, and bestest sensation of the season--and worth every penny--

Regis Philbin w/special guest Susan Lucci !!

.....a bargain at $77.50 !!

• Members

Originally posted by Kingnome

.....just a sampling from a local venue....

Arlo Guthrie............$30.

Kathy Mattea..........$36.50

Jeff Foxworthy........$36.50

George Carlin.........$39.

George Jones.........$42.

Sawyer Brown........$52.50

Dwight Yoakum.......$62.50

Johnny Mathis.........$74.50

And the biggest, newest, and bestest sensation of the season--and worth every penny--

Regis Philbin w/special guest Susan Lucci !!

.....a bargain at $77.50 !!

I'd pay 40 bucks to see Carlin. You get your money's worth there.

• Members

Originally posted by jdechant

nowdays, I really don't think that a ticket price around $35 is outrageous... 10 years ago, yes it would have been, but not in 2002.... now $77 for a ticket is pretty outrageous

It's interesting to me that Arlo can afford to (or chooses to) do a show for thirty bucks. I imagine the type of show he does doesn't require alot of production, but I'd go see him twice before I'd pay $60 to see someone else once.

Hey Rob-- I love George Carlin, but $40 ?..... That's like Five-something per dirty word! Is it the light show? All the supporting musicians? The large crew, and all the tour buses and hotel rooms?....The food bills?.....

I mean how much can it cost for him to tour? And I thought The Eagles were expensive. :rolleyes:

(I'm rolling my eyes at Carlin, not you. :) )

• Members

Well, to play devils advocate, you must realize that costs have gone up tremendously to do live shows. If you think about it propotionally, the cost has gone up about as much as everything else. I remember seeing Black Sabbath and Yes back in 1972 for 10 bucks. Now the same show might be 80 or 100. But consider, housing is 8-10 times higher, as are new cars, gasoline is 5 times higher, etc etc. In addition, back in those days, there weren't the liability issues that are now so expensive when putting on a show. To top it all off, in the 70s it was enough to go watch a band stand there and play. Today's audience demands more entertainment and lavish productions, which cost a lot more to produce. I'm more fed up with outrageous vendor prices at shows than I am with the ticket price. 8 bucks for a 16 ounce plastic glass of beer (if you can get it)? 7 bucks for a bag of kettle corn? Gimme a break.

• Members

Well, about a year ago, I refused to pay 75 or so to see clapton. I thought it was insane to charge that much for a show. The thing is, I blew the money on something else, and now don't have much to show for it. I would pay 75 any day of the week to see him now. I feel like I missed out on a once in a lifetime experience.

Edgar

• Members

i guess no one saw the top concert earner's report. let me just say Sir Paul Mc Cartney made $50million from 26 shows. tickets cost as much as 150 bucks. the freakin eagles made like $30million. honestly, if people will pay it, why not charge it? paul sure doesn't need it, but i haven't seen people boycott his shows...let alone him lose money from it. $30 for arlo guthrie ain't bad. i doubt its a 105,000 seat stadium.

• Members

Originally posted by EngineGuitarist

i guess no one saw the top concert earner's report. let me just say Sir Paul Mc Cartney made $50million from 26 shows. tickets cost as much as 150 bucks.

I highly doubt that $50 million was from ticket sales alone... in fact most probably wasn't made from ticket sales... most was probably made from merchandise sold (although I could be wrong on this one, but usually tickets are priced so that the show/tour's break even point for costs is achieved at 80% sold)

• Members

Here in town, a large number of Sir Paul tickets were in the $300 range. It's sold out. The Stones have similar pricing. I doubt their show will sell out.

There are no rules for shows. The "break even at 80" rule is more a myth than anything. A promoter and bands do whatever they can do to get by and get ahead. If they can bend the public over and screw them, then Sir Paul and his polite friends will be first in line to shove it up your ass.

Arlo Guthrie at $30 is well worth it. I love Arlo. His dad wasn't bad either.

• Members

Originally posted by ozraves

There are no rules for shows. The "break even at 80" rule is more a myth than anything. A promoter and bands do whatever they can do to get by and get ahead. If they can bend the public over and screw them, then Sir Paul and his polite friends will be first in line to shove it up your ass.

maybe maybe not... we don't know...

what I do know is that it probably has something to do with teh fact that ticketmaster carries all the tickets now, and if you wanna play anywhere, you pretty much have to use ClearChannel as your concert promoter... if there was some compitiion in there I bet we would see some lower prices, but there's not and there isn't gonna be any time soon, so lets all just stop bitchin like little girls about the high prices and let it go already.

• Members

Originally posted by jdechant

so lets all just stop bitchin like little girls about the high prices and let it go already.

Then get your own Arlo schedule. :D

And I thought a ticket price thread would be welcome here on THE MUSIC BIZ forum.

Archived