own record label...whats really needed

• Members

hi... i write and produce to a standard that i think (not only me:-) is of a good enough standard to be released.. nothing major league...but im sure it'd sell if it got the push..... im also a proffesional graphic designer......

what do i actually need to release the tracks myself ... is it really just a matter of getting a load of cds pressed and then investing loads of time promoting or what.. ive really got no idea whats needed and would appreciate any help... advice etc..

• Members

Yep thats about it, you get a bunch of CDs pressed and promote your butt off. Play gigs, send them to people, send to raidio.. whatever you have to do to raise the demand for your CD.

Once you are selling CDs regularly, everything else will become alot clearer as to what your next step will be.

• Members

Here's a short list of what you'll need to run your label successfully :

- Money. Start up capitol to print CDs and promo materials. It might be a good idea to register your label as a business and open a business bank account.

- A good accountant. It's better to pay a professional to do the books of your business.

- A good lawyer. Overkill? Maybe. But long term, you'll want to consult a lawyer from time to time to deal with tax issues and the like.

• Members

I would also recommend getting a liscence as a small business, opening a D/B/A bank account for your label and finding a good tax person. By being a legitamate business you'll have to pay taxes on sales, but you will also be able to write off all of your equipment and CD prodution costs as expenses. You also have 5 years with the small business plan before you are expected to show a profit.

• Members

Originally posted by alienesque

i know.. i need as much help as i can get:-)... did you get there by accident then?

Nah, I've been on CM since March . . . under the name FilthyK . . . I'm just jagging you a bit . . . trust me, multiple-forum posts can be very necessary . . .

I've found a mix of SOS, KVR, CM, Harmoney Central and Prorec to be very helpful. I would suggest you get on all of them, if you're a DAW man . . .

Layyyter . . .

• Members

'I'm just jagging you a bit . . . '

i know....im not sure what 'jagging' means but i can guess:-)...

im not DAW by the way... im a cubase man.. thankfully.. i was thinking of changing to logic... but now its clear what a bunch of arses they are.. and that the SX version of cubase is supposed to be fantaastic.. ill stay where i am...

• Members

Originally posted by alienesque

'I'm just jagging you a bit . . . '

i know....im not sure what 'jagging' means but i can guess:-)...

im not DAW by the way... im a cubase man.. thankfully.. i was thinking of changing to logic... but now its clear what a bunch of arses they are.. and that the SX version of cubase is supposed to be fantaastic.. ill stay where i am...

Sorry about the slang . . .

"Jagging" means teasing or harassing . . .

"DAW" is for Digital Audio Workstation . . .

So you are a DAW man, as am I . . .

I found Cubase to look too much like a spreadsheet, but if you like it and work effectively in it, by all means, use it.

As for the PC-Logic thing, that is a prime reason why I preach against cross-platform software. I use Sonic Foundry, Acid Pro and Fruity Loops . . . all of which were developed for my PC . . . if I owned a Mac, I would've bought Logic, no questions asked . . . so while I feel bad the PC-Logic people were stranded, I also have to say they should've known better . . . do not use cross-platform software . . . that simple . . .

Layyyter . . .

• Members

Totally OT* but FYI*, Emagic released today version 5.2 of Logic Audio for both MAC AND WINDOWS platforms. Great, great free updade.

Emagic never said they wouldn't stop supporting Logic Audio on Windows. Gives Windows users time before they decide to switch over to a PC app or a Mac platform.

TTYL8R*

*______________________for alienesque:;)

OT: Off Topic

FYI: For Your Information

TTYL8R: Talk To You Later (L'eight-R)

Just being a smart ass.

• Members

We just finished producing our won CD in our bass players home studio (turned out kick ass I might add) and started doing the art work for the CD. We are putting this out ourselves so we made up a record company name, put it on there and will release it through the Internet, promote it ourselves and sell it at shows. I know the early stage of the music biz pretty well and we will probably end up giving more away than not - and that's cool at this stage. That's our record company.

I know how to start up a business, and if things take off, the company will be formalized, but until then its not worth it since we really won't make any money with it at this time.

Brian

Deep Under Dirt

http://www.deepunderdirt.com

Archived