TONOS - do you know?

• Members

Hmm... But can I make at least few grands a year with those nasty deals?

I live outside US in rather poor country and my salary is 150$ (I'm a banker, funny, eh?). I don't think there can be a nasty record deal for me at all.

I remember few months ago I submitted my demo to the Universal Canada A&R online (www.umusic.ca). Some guy responded, he said, my song was allright, but as stated in their submission agreement they didn't sign non-canadians (or non-americans, I don't remember) artists.

The problem is that I just don't know whom else to send my demos.

Anybody knows any online A&Rs, who accept submissions from international artists?

• Members

Originally posted by SweetAlien

Hmm... But can I make at least few grands a year with those nasty deals?

I live outside US in rather poor country and my salary is 150$ (I'm a banker, funny, eh?). I don't think there can be a nasty record deal for me at all.

Anybody knows any online A&Rs, who accept submissions from international artists?

Buy a lottery ticket - you'll have better luck at making lots of money. For every successful recording artist, there are thousnads who are working low paying jobs to pay off their debts to their record companies.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by mvm

The people who actively think they're hustling their goods there are in complete

denial (like most humans, but hey- that's life. People don't want TRUTH, they want "feel good"). Real "Americon Idol" schlock for the desperate.

Ditto. I subscribed for a few months. mvm's posting pretty much says it all, as far as I'm concerned. Waste of money, with plenty of opportunities constantly presented to waste some more.

• Members

Tonos is the equivalent of a 24/7 American Idol audition session. The vast majority of their members are hold-overs from the Pop/Boyband explosion. There are a number of other non/boybandish folks there but mainly they'll be just like you, sitting there wondering why they wasted their money on that web site.

Something to think about: Tonos began as the search for the next big pop vocalist in conjunction with Lou Perlman. They went through a make-over after that didn't pan out however the mechanics of the site's operations are still similar and still not worth your time or money. Unless of course you like going to a message board filled with posts like:

"Auditions for vocal group in Florida area. Must be between the ages of 16 and 20, w/athletic build, and ability to learn complicated dance routines."

-Necro

• Members

Hey, another Journal reader =) The Middle Column R0KZZ!!!

Anywho - another article in the journal reported on all the new top execs at almost ALL of the major record companies. Another sign of how hurting the industry is - you don't shake up the top brass unless you figure the company is the Titanic and you're headed toward an iceberg.

I think the opportunity is there for people who want to make the effort to circumvent the top labels - I'm no economist, but a rule of thumb for the marketplace is that when the top companies start offering crap, the smaller guys have a chance to grab a piece of the pie.

But it ain't easy - nothing is. Extraordinary success requires extraordinary effort, bla bla. I think some companies make good money off of telling people that they can be wildly succesful - and that it will be easy.

Is TONOS the place which had Fred Durst on their banner ads? Crikey...

• Members

if your going to throw money at it - try taxi.com or other reputable song plugging agancies. submit to publishing companies that specialize in administrative deals - you'll keep your publishing and they'll help shop to labels. get lists of managers and lawyers in new york, london, l.a, and nashville that accept unsolited material and fire away. if you dont mind getting screwed (ha) submit to producers and production companies. just some ideas...

Archived