Forming a band

mts3212

• Members

Okay, I'm an intermediate guitar player that is looking to form a pop/rock band that will play covers and originals. I'm only 22 but have been playing for 8 years and been involved with 3 bands so far but I've never tried to start something of my own. Any thoughts or tips on how to do this?

I've placed a few adds in the local papers and "underground" publishings. And I've already set up a jam session with a drummer that has answered my add.

Help!

• Members

if its your band its up to you, but here are a couple guideline:

1) obviuosly they should play well if not great.

2) you get along with them, you know this if you would hangout with them if there were no band.

3) you're relatively into the same type of music/bands so no one wants to try to steer it in a new direction.

4) when you have gigs and rehearsals they are ALWAYS there and not late.

5) not a junkie. sounds a bit extreme, but when i was in NYC it was a real concern. there were so many!

6) has all the equipment they need and have transportations worked out.

7) its good if they have a flexible schedule if you plan on doing a lot of gigging or touring for that matter.

You should ask BlueStrat, im sure he could tell you more than me about this.

• Members

Originally posted by EngineGuitarist

5) not a junkie. sounds a bit extreme, but when i was in NYC it was a real concern. there were so many!

There's nothing extreme about this. I believe pre-band drug testing is too extreme, but I wouldn't put my reputation as a musician or businessman on the line for anyone who isn't serious about their craft.

I have always been of the opinion that girlfriends, boyfriends and other assorted hangers-on have no business at rehearsals and have no say in band matters. If there are potential members who always have someone who is hanging with them (one exception would be the female who brings someone along to the first few meetings for obvious safety reasons) you can bet they'll be a major influence in that member's attitude. This can be a good thing, in the case of someone who is serious about helping as a roadie or assistant, but make it very clear that the band's business is just that, right from the start.

I wish I had a dollar for every guy who voted on band decisions based on how his woman felt.

Me would be $$$$ !!

• Members

Kingnome-

Man you are so right! MY last bands bass player always had his girlfriend around and he was so whipped. I honestly believe that this was one of the first steps to the breakup of that band. i agrree that only the musicians have a say in these matters.

• Members

Originally posted by mts3212

Kingnome-

Man you are so right! MY last bands bass player always had his girlfriend around and he was so whipped. I honestly believe that this was one of the first steps to the breakup of that band. i agrree that only the musicians have a say in these matters.

Tell the truth.....you're Ringo Starr aren't you ! ;)

Yeah, seen it a hunderd times !

• Members

Okay so question:

I just spoke with this drummer that answered my add. Seems cool and all, but he's into jazz and older sixties stuff. That's not really what I'm into. Should I even give it a try?

• Members

If HE answered YOUR ad, he's interested in whatever your ad stated. Whether he's as serious as you are about this new project is really the important part. Everybody has different influences.

On the other hand, treat it a lot like you would any serious relationship. Don't discount a potential flaw because of the desire to get things rolling. It will only come back to bite you later.

Ex #1- He's having car troubles, but has a great PA and says he's hoping to buy his brother-in-law's van when he settles a lawsuit.

EX #2- (and this was true) A lead singer in his late twenties and living way out in the 'burbs who didn't drive. Rehearsals were based on bus and train schedules. Somebody would still have to go pick him up at the station, etc. Great singer, but not worth the trouble.

Good Luck !

• Members

I just did this myself, should not say "just did this" because my experience took me about a year to get the right folks. I did the old hang up "musicians wanted" at local music stores, and got a few bites, but not many. Hardest thing to find are bass players and good drummers. Guitarists are a dime a dozen (I'm one of the dozens). Vocalists are easy to find but finding a good one is a different story. Know EXACTLY what you want up front, will same you time. Be prepared to get frustrated, try out a ton of folks, and have this task take a lot more time than you think. Here is what I did and it worked, but took a long ass time, but was really worth the effort:

1. Post want ads at local clubs and music stores. In the ad, tell what you are looking for, influences, what you plan to play (originals, covers), where you plan to rehearse, how many times a week you plan to practice and how often you want to gig, make sure you say something about no junkies or drunks - unless you want a lot of trouble, transportation is a must unless you are willing to drive them around, and gig quality gear is mandatory.

2. Do the same online. There are tons of places to do this, like Harmony Central, but Musician.com worked the best for me. Found my other guitar player, singer, and drummer there. I knew the bass player from work. You can local folks with specific talents there.

3. Have original material already worked out and recorded (I just use a Tascam portastudio and a cheap drum machine), lets you have something to give folks up front to play and makes getting going a little easier. Also, have a cover or two ready. When you audition someone, ask them to learn one of your originals and a cover.

4. I always made sure I talked on the phone to the people first, be very upfront on what you are looking for - try to get them to be open as well. If it feels right, meet in person and have a beer and exchange tapes. If it still feels right, schedule either an audition or jam session. Usually, with the first member or two, a jam session is cool. Once you get 2-3 people and you are looking for the 4th or 5th, audition scenarios work best.

Good luck!:)

Archived