Starting up my own record label/Copyrighting my music

• Members

OK, I'm in my own one man-band music project-type deal, and by the end of this summer, I will have finished my first 10-song album. I would like to establish my own record label so that I can sign myself (lol) to the label with a contract with full creative control, automatic copyrighting of my music, etc. Can someone here please go through the steps nessesary to establishing my own record label, drafting a contract for myself, and copyrighting my music? Thank you so much in advance. P.S. Are there any good books/manuels/websites/etc. on this topic?

• Members

Step 1. Give yourself a $10M signing advance.

Step 2. Hire some shleps to do all the necessary work for about $2M.

Step 3. Go to Tahiti with the leftover $8M and return to start your world tour.

Sounds like a plan.

But seriously. (almost)

Just by recording, completing the artwork and making the duplications, basically doing everything that gets you to the point of having a packaged product ready for sale, you've already become your own company. Then you have to contact distributors and/or go to stores that will sell your product.

You don't have to fill out any documents to do this if you're using you're own funds. However, you can set yourself up as a sole-proprietorship, LLC or corporation and take advantage of tax laws. That will require some paperwork.

To register your songs with the copyright office, just fill out form SR, with payment and music included.

There's a lot of work involved on the promotion and distribution end but since you didn't ask I wont elaborate. There are a lot of websites that offer advice for Do-It-Yourselfers. Take advantage of them. getsigned.com is one such site.

• Members

I don't see the point of immersing yourself in paperwork before you start moving 5,000 units. Just start to produce and sell CDs, and once it's working great set up the label.

Say you want to be a guitar teacher: would you first set up an LLC, trademark a name for your guitar school and get an accountant......? Or simply start teaching guitar?

• Members

Originally posted by 6am eternal

I don't see the point of immersing yourself in paperwork before you start moving 5,000 units. Just start to produce and sell CDs, and once it's working great set up the label.

Say you want to be a guitar teacher: would you first set up an LLC, trademark a name for your guitar school and get an accountant......? Or simply start teaching guitar?

I think that registering the copyrights on the songs is a good idea, but the rest can probably wait.

Archived