Anyone who knows: What steps to record a cover?

• Members

I was wondering if some of you gentlemen over here in the biz forum could give me some insight into recording covers. There are a few I would like to do on my albums sometime. I would like to know what steps need to be taken to make it legal, what it may cost, who do I go through, etc. Just curious, and any help is appreciated.

• Members

well i think youd have to contact the holder(owner) of the copyright...i think to do this maybe look around for an email address or mailing address for the performer/band or manager or record label. and if you were to sell your recording of it youd have to work out royalties with the holder as well

• Members

Try going to getsigned.com or bandradio.com and look through their Q&A and/or Attorney sections.

I do know you have to pay the copyright owner full scale for mechanical rights which is I believe $0.75 per copy made. You on the other hand will only be paid 3/4 of that, so it's a losing proposition for you on the mechanicals. However, if your version becomes successful then everybody wins.

You really need to check with a knowledgeable attorney on this one.

• Members

Go to the Harry Fox agency website and do a song search, find the title you want, and then fill out the mechanic's license form online. If you can't find the song on their database, try ASCAP or BMI, then return to the Harry Fox site. You can pay the fee with a credit card (about 75 bucks a song per 1000 cds). It's easy and painless.

http://www.nmpa.org/hfa.html

• Members

Originally posted by BlueStrat

Go to the Harry Fox agency website and do a song search, find the title you want, and then fill out the mechanic's license form online. If you can't find the song on their database, try ASCAP or BMI, then return to the Harry Fox site. You can pay the fee with a credit card (about 75 bucks a song per 1000 cds). It's easy and painless.

Thanks!!

Archived