What's more important to you? lyrics or the music?

• Members

For some reason I get into the music more than i do with the lyrics.

I know some people are really facinated by the lyrics instead of the music like Jeff Buckley and the Doors, but I'm befuddled? I go for the Music and Melody ...i don't pay much attention to the lyrics.....unless i'm really tired of the song then i'll check it out but I still don't put much effort into it....something about me I can't seem to follow why the lyrics are so important to the song.

It's seems that the girls are more focus into the lyrics than they are with the music...although i could be wrong.

What grabs you first the music or lyrics?why?

• Members

for me music gets me first, although i am a musician. Lyrics are important to alot of people. it lets them sing along and the lyrics generally ahve "the hook". there's nothin worse than walking down the street and hearing someone sing a song with {censored}ty lyrics.

• Members

What grabs you first the music or lyrics?why?

Initially, the music has to grab me first. There's got to be something about the song that grabs me like a hook on guitar, a catchy melodic bass line or a groove that sets it up and makes your body move uncontrollably...haha

Also, I feel the lyrics have to tell a story - drawing in the audience so that they can connect from an emotional standpoint. No doubt about it - emotions are what drive great songs - they give you that feel of unfulfillable longing to hear more. Most great songs IMO, make the hair on your arms stand straight up and give you goose bumps!

• Members

I'm drawn to the music first, but my preferences change depending what I perceive is the songwriter's intent. Do they want me to hear the music, or the words. In my listening experience, all of the best songs have an interconnectedness between the music and the lyrics. Good songwriters will use the music to complement or juxtapose the lyrics. A lot of times, this will really make the song much more enjoyable to listen to (at least for me!).

-juheimbu

Archived