Starting your own record label

• Members

hey,

I was wondering if you guys have any information on starting record labels? any lists on step by step process for getting strarted? personal experiences? articles on the matter?

i always wanted to start my own DIY label running as a soul propritorship, signing mostly punk bands. any information would help.

Thanx!

• Members

get a lawyer to take care of legal bull{censored}, unless you want the DoingBusinessAs route. get an acountant to start your business's accounts. and thats it. oh you have to register your name and that will cost some dough too. thats basically it except for: finding talent, paying for recording,cd pressing, promotion, dealing with distributors (have fun), and getting a good entertainment lawyer to help make up standard record contracts and negotiate with the lawyer of a band you want to sign. It is punk though, so you can skimp on recording, promotion will be much less, most of the bands won't know to get lawyers so you can save money in lawyers fees (as well as have a good contract for you) and as for talent, well its punk rock so its not necessary. don't get me wrong i was in punk bands for a while, but its the truth. This still leaves you with those {censored}in distributors though. Beware, they DO NOT want to pay you and will make getting the money take a long time and be a big hassle. hope you have plenty of money to burn.

Archived