Recording Careers?- advice

• Members

A friend of mine is going to go to college and major in Audio at Indiana University School of Music. After talking to him I have been thinking about changing majors and schools. But I'm wondering what sort of career options I would have with a degree in Audio. Thanks!

• Members

if you want to engineer don't go to college unless you really want a degree. go to a trade school that focuses on it. and then get ready to intern and not get paid for a while. people can do well in audio, although it generally takes some time, but some people don't. also ask yourself this: do you want to work till 6 in the morning and be back at the studio at 2 in the afternoon to do the same thing again? do you want to listen to one song for twelve hours straight when mixing? do you need money right away? are you, or will you live near a major city? (NYC, LA, Nashville, Chicago, or Miami) as for schools check out SAE and Full Sail

• Members

All these starry eyed youth and most others never seem to understand that most recording studios do very little music. Their main income is corporate training videos and audio production. At least where I live. Doing a band is a treat!! Most musicians don't have the money to pay for decent studio time.

Archived