How do i get into the music industry?

• Members

i'm a high school senior headed for the university of michigan honors program. i'm hoping to get into the business school there in a few years. although, i thought i wanted to go into the financial world (wall street) and maybe be an investment banker, now i am more interested in going into the music industry due to a natural passion for both business and music. how would i go about doing that? should i get my mba and get some music engineering experience? i think i'll be taking some music classes at the university of michigan school of music, which is pretty well regarded (i think). also, the university has several professional production studios open to university members with certification. should i get practice using the equipment there? any suggestions or comments from anybody that knows the field? thanks a lot for your help.

cheers,

aaron ;)

• Members

the music industry has a wide variety of jobs. if you want to engineer then yes, take some engineering classes at school. if you want to be an A&R guy, manager, promotion agent, or publisher....then stick to the business side. Although if you stick to the business side, you should take maybe one or two basic engineering courses just to help you understand. and make sure you learn as much as you can about copyrights and Itellectual Property. like i said, it really depends what you want to do.

• Members

Hmm...Investment banking 150k a year, A&R intern 12k a year, and some free lunches.

I've been on a track to some kind of financial career, but as I get a little older, I'm really starting to wonder if this is what I want to do? I know I'd be happier doing something in the music business, it's just hard to pull away from the gauranteed money that's in finance. I'd like to find a BIZ job with steady income, but I don't know if I want to take the risk. Do what will make you happy.

• Members

My suggestion, go to Wall Street. Sounds like a more professional career path. More money. If you want to be a poor bastard , well the music industry maybe the right choice. Doesn't matter what kind of degree you have. Most of the people you deal with in the music industry will not have your kind of background and probably resent you....

The music industry will ruin your love of music....

Archived