Is there a low break?

Scott Doolittle

• Members

Hello,

Within chest voice, I can produce F#2 - Eb4. (Middle goes to G4, head reaches C5). A2 to C3 is a sweet spot for laid back, conversational melodies. Eb3 to B3 is my sweet spot for brighter melodies. However, right in between, C#3 and D3 often feel kind of awkward, almost like there is a subtle break, even though I am still in chest voice on both sides of that "break". 

Is it common to feel a stress at that point in ones's range? Any tips to reduce the stress that I am generating with C#3 and D3? (other than practice, practice, practice, which is alrady on the agenda.)

• Members

Are you talking about a break at C#2/D2? I would say no...unless your pulling your voice down lower than it wants to go? Or are you talking about C#4/D4?...which would be where the passaggio starts for some deeper voiced people. If that's the case, start lightening up your tone around that area, sing on a yawn, which will keep the sound darker.

My 2 cents

• Members

Oops... I just noticed a really important typo in my original post (now corrected). The difficult notes for me are C#3 and D3, right in the lower middle of my chest voice. Notes just below that sound great and easy, just above that sound great and easy. But those notes are kind of awkward for me. They almost sound like they are below my range even though I sound better when I go even lower..  

I keep bouncing back and forth from trying to do as much practice in the key of D to work on that weakness, and avoiding songs in the key of D to stay away from the awkward key.

I am not suggesting an actual break with a change of register, but just wondering if other people have a few weak notes right in the middle of their otherwise easy octave, and how to handle it.

Archived