idm info?

ae5

• Members

i know little about idm, basicly i produce and spin drum n bass, one of the reasons i like drum and bass and not house or trance is to me it sounds alot more creative and free and {censored}ing crazy and {censored}. i love fast cut up manipulated breaks and deep sub bass, i enjoy a good melody now and then too but the reason i'm asking about idm is because i've heard squarepusher refered to as idm, and squarepusher does exactly what i like and what i'm talking about, dnb i love but i don't like how formulaic is it, or how not pushing any more bounderies it is, it kind of found it's sound and in my opinion is stagnating a bit, i still love it and don't mean to be a trendy {censored} and jump on the idm bandwagon but i like what i like and would like to seek more of it. i've also been referred to venetian snares who i will check out, i like aphex twin but he's really not what i'm talking about. i like extremely crazy break drums that go all over the place and as i mentioned burly bass and good tunes to go along with them, can anyone kind of suggest some idm producers i might be interested in? aside from the big ones like aphex twin, boards of canada, etc. i haven't really heard of many. i'm looking for more "musically free" dnb-ish sounding stuff.

• Members

Bogdan Raczynski (sp?) does some crazy chopped up stuff, but a lot of his stuf fsounds too random

Luke Vibert/Wagon Christ is pretty cool but a bit mellower, he used to be mates with Squarepusher

µ-ziq/Kid Spatula has all the amazing beats but writes damn good tunes too

Cylob maybe also

yeah Venetian Snares are ace, but I can't find anything by them anywhere. Squarepusher is the daddy...

• Members

There are lots of labels who have artists like that.

Skam

Warp

Lo

Tigerbeat6

Dhr

Chocolate industries

schematic

Planet Mu

Fat Cat

vvm

Orthlorn Musork

ambush

and many others. What I do is just go to their websites and listen if they have sound. If you like what you hear go to their links page for a list of other likeminded labels and artists. Also places to buy.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived