New singer with samples

nomadh

• Members

Hello.  I have not been around recently as I took some of the ideas and inspiration I got here and was out applying it.  I play guitar in a band and any singing I ever do was usually under my breath with my favorite singer usually in a range I had no business being in.  Sort of a choked breathy falsetto specially singing along with Chris Cornell or similar.   Well over this last year or so I've been really paying attention to my voice and trying to retrain it into something useful.  Working on breaking some truly horrible habits.  I've actually had a big breakthrough over the last 2 months because the radio in my car is broken so it turns out to be a great time to practice.  Also the car noise  gives me a target volume to beat and its easy to be less self consious.

Anyway I have a sample that I think shows where I am.  Some notes and tone I actually like( a first for me).  Others sound very weak.  Sometimes its at the edge of my range but others seem to be right in there but are still weak. Also I know some notes need more air intake and am working on that but even after that I still weak notes. If you kind people could give it a listen and let me know whats good and bad and any specific problem or lesson to help I'd be grateful.

http://www.myspace.com/video/damonator357/long-time-gone/109205255

Also this test video shows how I slow down the song to really try to find the notes.  You can hear in more detail what I'm doing wrong and how I try to fix it.  I think this would help other beginners too.  

http://www.myspace.com/video/damonator357/long-time-gone-test-slowed-down-w-solo/109205265

Thanks all.

• Members

Hey nice job. You do get a little bit pitchy when you go for those higher notes and you lose a bit of tone. You have a nice tone on the lower notes though. Have you tried moving the song down a half or full step. I have found that really helps when learning a song that is typically out of my range. It allows me to build the confidence on the melody in general and then if I want I can slowly push the key up to the natural key.

• Members

thanks for the feedback.  I do sometimes play with the key on some songs.  I just recently foud out I sound much stronger in A on knockin on heavens door.  For this one Ill need to change the guitar tuning as I play off open notes.  ll try it again and repost

Thanks.  

Archived