Newbie needs help

Dreamz

• Members

I'm a professional keyboardist who is interested in learning some skills in scratching. My idea is kinda like those NU metal bands where the DJ scratches along with the band.

Can someone please advice me on where to start? What to buy? I'm totally clueless.

• Members

I thing when you're going to learne the scratch dj skills you best buy a Vestax mixer 06,07... one of those series.

and a technics turntable. they are stil on the top of turntables.

greets scrolly

• Members

You'll need patience, be prepared to spend a looooong time practising. I dont know anyone who sounds listenable and has been doing it less than a year. Ive been doing it 3 months now and while I've got most tricks down, I lack the flow, combo ability and general ability that makes scratching *musical*. I hope your not doing this just as a gimmick...

As for the turntable, I'd say Vestax PDX-2000. I've got one and skips once every couple weeks at most, and I'm not even using decent needles! But be warned, its long-term life remains to be seen whereas the 1200's is proven.

• Members

If you want to keep your soul go with Technics 1200's! When a product stays on top for thirty years it is a safe bet. Like they said the Vestax tables look neat and have some features that the Technics don't but they feel like plastic and they don't have the torque of Technics. Also they have not been proven to last a lifetime like a pair of 1200's will. I also play keyboard and synth. My setup is as follows:

2 - Technics SL1200-M3D's

1 - Numark SM-3 Mixer w/ Infinity Fader

1 - Boss SP-303 Sampler

1 - Korg MS2000 Synth

1 - Boss DR-202 Drum Machine

The SM-3 is a great mixer. It has the optical crossfader so you don't get any bleed through or crackling like you do with normal faders. And since it is three channels I can run my tables into channels 1 & 3 and run my Synth into the middle channel. That way I can adjust the volumes of everything to get a nice mix. The SM-3 also has an effects loop, which I have hooked to my sampler since it has onboard effects. Then I have a seperate MIDI loop between my sampler, drum machine, and Synth so I can trigger the drum machine and sampler from the Synth. I don't know what you have in mind, but I hope this helps. Whatever you do get a mixer with an extra channel for your keyboards to run through. It takes care of alot of headaches. And if you are serious about scratching get a Vestax (06, 07 etc.) or Rane (TTM 56 is awesome! It has magnetic faders) mixer. Or if the funds don't allow for that get a Numark or Stanton with an optical fader.

P.S. I got my SM-3 for $299 at Guitar Center (normally goes for $650)

• Members

Originally posted by bigsplendor:

If you want to keep your soul go with Technics 1200's! When a product stays on top for thirty years it is a safe bet. Like they said the Vestax tables look neat and have some features that the Technics don't but they feel like plastic and they don't have the torque of Technics.

actually, you're half right and half wrong. They don't have the torque technics does, but in fact, they have HIGHER torque than technics does. The only thing technics has over vestax, and possibly the new numarks, though I don't know {censored} about them, is already having passed the test of time. That's it, and that's all. When it comes to the technical aspects, Vestax has technis beat at every corner. Don't believe me? Look it up. It's proven. I'm not discounting technics, cause they're the {censored}, but vestax made a better deck. All they have to do now is prove they can last even a third as long as the 1200s do and the battle will be completely over for everyone willing to admit it to themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

For what you want to do all you need is one turntable and a mixer. Since you are not going to be beat matching or mixing just scratching. I would advise against numark. Go with vestax or technics turntables or even stantons if your low on cash. Vestax mixers are very good for scratching. I sugested the kaoss mixer earlier because it has effects and sampling built in for a fairly low price and you are just going to use the turntable as a "sound effect" in a band. I just personaly like the vestaxes beter than technics. Dont forget to get heavy duty needles.

Archived