The Wonders of Perfect Pitch

chamcham

• Members

I don't know if I necessarily have "PERFECT pitch"...I mean, I can pluck out the pitch of random sounds and rattle them off easily and such, identify actual notes pretty much instantaneously...but tuning a guitar just on my own I'll tend to end up a few cents off (And I'm sure it's probably the same case if I'm asked to sing a note. It'd still be far closer to that note than the next one, but probably not 100% dead-on.) Out-of-tune stuff USED to bother me significantly...I have a greater tolerance for it these days, though, especially if I know it's deliberate.

That whole "rain drops driving the person crazy" thing reminds me of how leaves rustling used to freak me out when I was a kid. Or "silent" rooms, because I would hear electrical currents or something. (And I'm not even talking rooms with fluorescent lighting. THAT was murder.) Probably why I deliberately self-inflicted some hearing damage when I was young...not the smartest thing by any stretch of the imagination, but it did what I set out to accomplish.

• Members

Another example of my teacher's perfect pitch (discovered by her parents when she was 3).

I was playing a song on Youtube and it drove her mad (in a bad way).

She couldn't stand it. Without looking at the video, she knew

I was playing an LP recording. It warps the pitch in a drastic way

depending on the speed it's playing.

So it's really easy for my teacher to know if she's listening to an LP.

She could identify that the key was between two notes, but it wasn't definite

since it kept oscillating back and forth between them.

I'm beginning to wonder if my teacher is an alien.

I wish I had these perfect pitch powers...... ;-p

• Members

Thats amazing ChamCham..

I have a Choir Director Who hear you singing any note and tell you exactly what note you hit or didnt hit.

I also have a guitar director at my school who can tell you exactly what note your playing just by hearing it.

Im not sure about all their training but i know for fact they have phds. So im sure like any skill its possible to reach, you just have to dedicate your life to have it. =D

Archived