trying again with rolling in the deep

cjpbarboza

• Members

Understood - But it's one thing to sing along to something at home to see if its in your range or not; quite another to record yourself, post it on the internet and solicit a critique. Start modestly :-) That's all I'm saying.

I could try and sing a Sammy Hagar song, but it's so far out of my league that to post a recording of myself attempting it and soliciting criticism is probably not going to yield very much in the way of usable advice. There is just too big a chasm between my ability and Sammy's.

In short, stretching too far (esp initially) can be self-defeating and not very helpful for you.

Yeah, the temptation to seek feedback can be strong especially when you're starting out, and when it's quite easy to garner it on the internet. I used to do it as well, but you'll learn that it won't help.

You'll always think you're better than you actually are when beginning or learning something musical. The discoveries are endless and you think you've tapped into something no one else has before, but that's wrong, but healthy at the same time. Then once you actually get better, you'll think your worse than you actually are, and that's healthy too. Whatever it is, it's always best to keep it real.

The best thing you can do first is strengthen your vocal muscles and musical ear. Then you can get into perfecting your pitch, tone and overall performance. The way I did it was to drive around and sing in my car and emulate my favorite singers. Then once you start performing live you'll find out how to get out of the habits that come with emulating and you learn other things.

Then finally you can start actually recording yourself for real and mixing your voice within a song and you give up some of the previous bad habits. Rushing to record yourself and get feedback from others is not the best approach IMO, you've got to be able to critique yourself realistically in the beginning and all along the way.

• Members

Yeah, the temptation to seek feedback can be strong especially when you're starting out, and when it's quite easy to garner it on the internet. I used to do it as well, but you'll learn that it won't help.

You'll always think you're better than you actually are when beginning or learning something musical. The discoveries are endless and you think you've tapped into something no one else has before, but that's wrong, but healthy at the same time. Then once you actually get better, you'll think your worse than you actually are, and that's healthy too. Whatever it is, it's always best to keep it real.

Very good point. I agree with this.

Archived