Develop your vibrato using a sound that Curly from The Three Stooges used to make.

GJaunz

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

somehow, I knew it would be the "nyaaaa aaa aaa..." noise ;-)

I heard "we are the Champions" on the radio today.

The singing is of course, very precise. (remember, before auto tune?)

but the vibrato sounds really "forced" somehow.

I guess each voice has it's own natural vibrato?

It's part of the flavor that you either like or dont

[video=youtube;vaAbgpmbDZM]

• Members

@VJFrankZK: You hit the nail on the head. Vibrato is definitely different for everyone, and Freddy's was definitely on the narrow and fast side. Queen is actually my favorite band :-). For me, what made Freddy Mercury one of the all time best is his tone and his ability to arrange and execute harmonies so beautifully, not as much his vibrato. I hear you on the autotune comment! I HATE autotune! If I were still doing freelance producing, I would probably buy the software since it can save you a ton of headaches when you're recording a singer that just can't hit the notes they're trying to hit, but since the only stuff I record these days is my own music, I never touch the stuff! What bothers me the most about autotune is that it's become en vogue to hear a singer's voice instantly lock onto each pitch in a step-wise fashion instead of moving in a smooth, continuous fashion as it naturally does, so now even singers that don't need to be autotuned are being autotuned by producers! Producers can autotune Brittney Spears 'till the end of time and I'll be fine with it, but when they take a great vocal performance and try to "improve" it with autotune, they suck the life out of it and make it sound like a merely good vocal performance (sounds a hell of a lot like the bad one the really did need to get fixed actually). I say if you record something and it's off pitch, sing it again!

Wow, sorry about my "autotune sucks" rant... that just sets me off haha.

Archived