Learn Songs Faster

YeahDoIt

• Members

Of course! I can sing a new song at performance quality in a DAY if I set my mind to it.

If I had to learn a song, I'd play it over and over and over and OVER, at first just listening and absorbing, and then ACTIVELY listening with the words in front of me. I'd sing along as best I could, reading the words as I went.

Then I'd kinda keep singing it...the melody, any words that stuck in my mind...go away, do something (like the washing up, gardening or something, lol, mundane type of things), then come back, play the song OVER AND OVER AND OVER, again reading the words...then try it without looking at the words...

Eventually this works and it gets into your brain.

It of course helps if I LIKE the song. If I don't, there are problems cause I just have NO interest at all and it's much harder for me to focus and keep a song's melody in my head if I don't care for it.

• Members

It's so funny when you realize how naive you are. I always thought that John Lennon or Marvin Gaye could just pick up a microphone and start singing any song perfectly from the get-go. But this is probably incorrect? Do the professional singers also have to practice, practice and practice?

• Members

Yes of course.

Professional and amateur are no different except for the length of time doing it, and others' perceptions of how well they do it, etc.

Even professional singers / songwriters / musicians don't always remember every part of every song, even if it's their OWN songs!!

Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac) has mixed up words of her own songs quite a bit when singing live. It's all good. lol.

Dusty Springfield used to write words on her hands to read 'em while performing!

• Members

I have to learn new songs every week to please venues owners and to keep people coming back to hear us.

for me its my commute and the cd player, I play the same 2 or 3 songs over and over during the 45 minute drive each way. I also like to record me singing the song so I can hear back what is working or not, it also gets me used to the song even if I have issues hearing the guitar.

Rod

• Members

I have to learn new songs every week to please venues owners and to keep people coming back to hear us.

for me its my commute and the cd player, I play the same 2 or 3 songs over and over during the 45 minute drive each way. I also like to record me singing the song so I can hear back what is working or not, it also gets me used to the song even if I have issues hearing the guitar.

Rod

Yep, repetition is the key! (no pun intended). Just keep singing along or singing while reading the lyrics. It sticks very quickly.

It's even surprising sometimes, I'll hear an old song that I used to sing along too and I know that if some one asked me to just write out the lyrics it would take me a while but I can sing along with quite easily if I hear the song.

Archived