Range and age

Gizzyboo

• Members

Good morning fellow Crooners. Last night I was watching the Elton John DVD @ Madison Sq. Gardens from a couple years back and I was a little disappointed in his range. Songs like Don't Let the Sun Go Down... and Crocodile Rock at times require the higher range to really nail the song. Elton just didn't have it. Not sure if it's age or the constant touring that get these guys in the end. I thought how good it would be to be on that stage hitting those notes with Elton and his band backing me up. LOL.

• Members

it happens. I saw a live Bon Jovi show on TV a while back and they've got some of those tunes lowered by a fourth. The crowd was rockin' out....they couldn't care less. If you were able to talk to Elton right after that show and express your dissapointment, I'm guessing he would smile, shake your hand and maybe offer you a gig....trimming the hedges at ONE of his mansions...:facepalm:

• Members

I don't know if constant abuse is worse than the effects of aging, but I do know that some singers don't lose much as they grow old.

Steven Tyler, Jon Anderson and Roger Daltrey are three singers whose ranges haven't diminished appreciably, although their timbres might've.

• Members

Elton himself has said he has been losing some range for awhile. I can't remember if I read him saying that in the 80's or early 90's but I know he blamed doing a ton of coke, smoking a lot (weed and cigarettes) and drinking being a big part. I also wanna say I remember hearing he had surgery for vocal cord nodules at one point. That could play a part too.

Having said all that, he still is worlds above me in terms of singing ability and songwriting ability, and I would guess quite many here as well. Last time I saw him he still put on a great show, so who cares if he can't quite hit those notes anymore? Didn't bother me at all.

• Members

I don't know if constant abuse is worse than the effects of aging, but I do know that some singers don't lose much as they grow old.

Steven Tyler, Jon Anderson and Roger Daltrey are three singers whose ranges haven't diminished appreciably, although their timbres might've.

Robert Plant, too, but many of you will remember my post a few weeks ago all ga-ga over his new show with Buddy Miller and friends. RP hit the high notes, but I could tell he was getting a technological boost from some gadget at the soundboard. It seemed like a woosh of reverb and pitch correction applied only to the highest notes and then immediately rolled back.

But to be honest, it didn't really matter. RP is outrageously good, whether or not he can still hit the high notes. So are the others--well, except maybe Daltry, who I never liked very much anyway.

• Members

i always admired several singers for the sheer strength of their voices... elton john, freddy mercury, strike me right off the top... either of these could have easily been operatic vocalists... range is one thing but the ability to belt one out with a vengeance is something not everyone is capable of doing... just my two cents...

• Members

Elton John had vocal cord surgery which changed the overall tone of his voice including his range. I saw him talking about it in an interview. So I guess you could his range changed due to medical reasons. Others just change with age. David Coverdale is one of those that comes to mind. He still has that cool tone but he sounds a lot rougher now and doesn't appear to have that incredible range he used to have.

• Members

My range has decreased by about half an octave since I was in my late teens / early 20s, but I think it's a tiny bit to do with smoking a pack a day for years, the fact I was only really squeaking a la Mariah Carey back in my younger days, and that I am now 32 and not a teenager anymore. *shrug*

Archived