The Art Of Practice

100jamesX

• Members

Every1 knows Practicing "1" thing a million times will definitely make u improve.

But How Do You Keep Doing The Same Exact Thing Day-After-Day Without Eventually Burning Your Self Out? How Do You Keep The Focus? How Do You Stay Sane & Positive?

For example right now I'm working on Luther Vandross "SuperStar" .. Practicing this song 24/7 I got the pitch down but my recorded vocals sound boring.. I "think" i know what i need to work on but not having a understanding of how to get there makes me feel like I'm not going anywhere sometimes.

• Members

For me it's easy, get out and play live!

What it does other than allowing you to get paid while you are "practicing" and having fun, it teaches you how to sing the song for effect. By that I mean, you have a live meter in front of you, try different things in different parts of the song and gage peoples reactions, now you are entertaining and practicing at the same time!

Now get that knowledge, and feeling and go back to the studio and apply it!

Rod

• Members

i tend to mix things up... when it feels like i've rehearsed something to the point of just going through the motions i stop and work on a different tune, another instrument, or a completely different creative process... then come back to it later and it feels fresh again... it sounds like you may be asking more though... the second part of your post makes me feel you are asking as much for direction on the path as much as a way to remain focused?

• Members

For me it's easy, get out and play live!

What it does other than allowing you to get paid while you are "practicing" and having fun, it teaches you how to sing the song for effect. By that I mean, you have a live meter in front of you, try different things in different parts of the song and gage peoples reactions, now you are entertaining and practicing at the same time!

Now get that knowledge, and feeling and go back to the studio and apply it!

Rod

well said! ^^^

• Members

A couple of things I do. One I set a kitchen timer to whatever time I intend to allocate to the session - 15 minutes to 45 minutes -- whatever. I intend to ignore phone calls, emails, etc. Also, I always have a pad and pencil near my practice area that way if I get some stray thought that might take me away from practice I jot it down as something to do after the practice is over. By writing it down, it won't keep nagging me in the back of my mind.

With potential distractions eliminated, and pad and pencil at the ready, I hit the timer with every intent to focus on my session. For some reason, using the timer has helped me stay focused for the duration.

• Members

I'd say ad-lib a little, improvise here and there to make it more "you." Singing the same thing with all the same inflections, runs and riffs can get dry very fast. You've got to mix it up a little and as Jim said, break up the time. You'll get very bored if you do a lot of one thing at a single sitting.

As for the vocal sounding boring, that could be you, the performance was boring or you need to take a break because you've heard the song way too many times. It comes back to taking a break.

• Members

Great advice, that is true.. Very rewarding experience performing for people.

I'm trying to find some places to perform live but having no luck. Right now I just perform for friends .. Might Try Busking When I feel more confident with my voice.

• Members

i tend to mix things up... when it feels like i've rehearsed something to the point of just going through the motions i stop and work on a different tune, another instrument, or a completely different creative process... then come back to it later and it feels fresh again... it sounds like you may be asking more though... the second part of your post makes me feel you are asking as much for direction on the path as much as a way to remain focused?

Yah i do feel like I'm going thru the motions at times.. Other times I'm like hype when I start hearing the improvement in my recordings or if i sing for somebody and they give me feedback (good or bad).

I feel like i need direction when I'm doing my best but not feeling like I'm getting any where.

• Members

maybe this is what performing will give you? watch and listen to the audience... if you do something that goes over well, remember it, add it to your arsenal of tricks... if something falls flat, put it aside, try it again later with a different crowd... or move on to another idea... i've found performing to be a lot of trial and error... some things you do very well and nail it and the crowd is yawning... other times you make so many mistakes and feel like it's falling apart and they love it! people are weird... the crowd changes at whim... maybe you dont feel like youre getting anywhere because you are more critical of yourself than others would be? :idk:

• Members

Great advice, that is true.. Very rewarding experience performing for people.

I'm trying to find some places to perform live but having no luck. Right now I just perform for friends .. Might Try Busking When I feel more confident with my voice.

Check you local laws before busking just to be safe!!! :)

Buskin is the single most rewarding thing you can do as a singer! If you can get people to stop and listen to you while they are passing by...there is no better compliment, you are either good or you have a gimmick!

I have some dates set and approved by a local township to do some "modified" busking this spring, we are setting up the duo stuff in front of a couple of local businesses to bring som eattention to them and to our duo, can't wait!

Rod

• Members

maybe this is what performing will give you? watch and listen to the audience... if you do something that goes over well, remember it, add it to your arsenal of tricks... if something falls flat, put it aside, try it again later with a different crowd... or move on to another idea... i've found performing to be a lot of trial and error... some things you do very well and nail it and the crowd is yawning... other times you make so many mistakes and feel like it's falling apart and they love it! people are weird... the crowd changes at whim... maybe you dont feel like youre getting anywhere because you are more critical of yourself than others would be?
:idk:

Absolutely I love performing .. but when im rdy tho .. u know when u feel like you been practicing for long time and feel confident in your playing you could do it sleeping LoL

Its fun playing for people but sometimes the feedback you get from friends can sometimes be false hope.. Like the untalented people who go on shows like American Idol who have been praised from friends and family go up to perform and get shot down by reality. I'm not trying to fall into that :)

So I love the idea of coming to these forums and asking complete strangers for advice because we are all like minded in bettering ourselves with our music, and no matter what music we might lean to its refreshing to get "honest" feedback.

• Members

A couple of things I do. One I set a kitchen timer to whatever time I intend to allocate to the session - 15 minutes to 45 minutes -- whatever. I intend to ignore phone calls, emails, etc. Also, I always have a pad and pencil near my practice area that way if I get some stray thought that might take me away from practice I jot it down as something to do after the practice is over. By writing it down, it won't keep nagging me in the back of my mind.

With potential distractions eliminated, and pad and pencil at the ready, I hit the timer with every intent to focus on my session. For some reason, using the timer has helped me stay focused for the duration.

Good advice. :thu: It's crucial, I think, to set limits on practicing, and above all to let go of technical concerns when singing. The point of focusing on technique is form good habits, so that you don't have to think about technical matters when performing or when just singing.

In order words, after you practice you should practice letting go of practice. :rolleyes:

• Members

yes, it's good to feel confident about your performance but also remember it is just as important to be flexible... a mistake i always made was not playing to my audience... i figured that good music performed well would be all that was required... ummm well, no... i started video taping my rehearsals and wow what an eye opener... what i thought was being presented as quiet confidence looked more like bland weakness... ( i have spent the last 20 years behind a drum set, always had front men to carry that part... now i'm working solo guitar & vocal gigs and it's different...) i now try to maintain eye contact, smile and have fun... and try to draw my audience into what i'm doing...

• Members

Check you local laws before busking just to be safe!!!
:)

Buskin is the single most rewarding thing you can do as a singer! If you can get people to stop and listen to you while they are passing by...there is no better compliment, you are either good or you have a gimmick!

I have some dates set and approved by a local township to do some "modified" busking this spring, we are setting up the duo stuff in front of a couple of local businesses to bring som eattention to them and to our duo, can't wait!

Rod

Yup that is very true, thanks for the heads up.

I tried Busking once when I was really into guitar and it was a great experience.. You really see how great live music makes people feel.

Thats cool Rod. If you can try to capture your gig on camera I would love to see it.

• Members

i started video taping my rehearsals and wow what an eye opener... what i thought was being presented as quiet confidence looked more like bland weakness... ( i have spent the last 20 years behind a drum set, always had front men to carry that part... now i'm working solo guitar & vocal gigs and it's different...) i now try to maintain eye contact, smile and have fun... and try to draw my audience into what i'm doing...

This is very good advice. Once you get comfortable with your material this is the next step "taking it to the next level as it were".

Practicing in front of a mirror will help also... it might be awkward and uncomfortable but it will be educational as well.

I find this especially true when you are singing and NOT playing an instrument since you have a freer range of movement, posture etc.

Archived