STAGE MICS ON A BUDGET?

martinidol1166

• Members

im looking at purchasing a mic for a band im hopefully starting and i need some input on good affordable mics to use on stage for under $150. i looked on guitarcenter.com and found some packages that includes like 3 mics a stand and a cable and based on the reviews is very good for the price. any thoughts?

• Members

There's not much of a difference in tone quality, IMO. The main differences are the PG's have an on/off switch, the mounting of the cartridge is different too, there's little to no shock absorption, which means more "handling noise". The SM58 is built to with stand a nuclear blast...you could probably run one over with your car and it would still work.

• Members

SM58s are great! Since you're on a budget I guess I can't recommend the Beta 58a. Yeah I don't know man, it's not really worth spending $100-150 on crap mics no matter how many you're getting in the set. Unless you're not serious then go for whatever is the best value.

• Members

The SM58 is the most obvious and will be the most recommended, but if you want something cheaper the only other alternative is the Senheisser e835. At my local store they sell for $129 CDN with a boom stand and 20ft cable, vs an SM58 for $120 CDN without the extras. Although the Senheisser is cheaper, there are loads of people out there that say they are better than the good old SM58 because they have a superior high-end response which the 58 lacks. I have both, and my problem with the Senheisser is that it feedbacks more easily than the 58, but it isin't a deal-breaker!

Go with the e835 if not the SM58. Anything else is not worth it because you're going to end up upgrading in the future.

Archived