Releasing TENSION and CLOSING UP?

sephlan

• Members

What do you guys do?

I do some sort of small physical activity for few minutes so i won't be so tense and not close up.

Any other ideas?
:D

Sometimes I do jumping jacks and sing the alphabet "A" "B" "C" "D" it seems to get my body moving, relax and increase my breathing, dynamics and articulation all at the same time.

• Members

My girlfriend fellates me about 90 minutes prior to a show. It's a little ritual we started about a year or so before a rather large gig at the Hard Rock Cafe in Orlando. Helps to clear my mind and I also use the time to do some light vocal exercises.

• Members

My girlfriend fellates me about 90 minutes prior to a show. It's a little ritual we started about a year or so before a rather large gig at the Hard Rock Cafe in Orlando. Helps to clear my mind and I also use the time to do some light vocal exercises.

Seems to me that that would release tension in her throat, no?

:idk:

• Members

When I sing in a belting voice I sometimes feel my throat closing up and my sound becomes nasal. Sephlan, I wonder if you are experiencing the same "closing up" behavior. I am experiencing good results with a ng - ah exercise. I sing the ng sound (ng as in siNG) then ah and alternate back and forth. I sing one pitch then repeat the exercise using another pitch. This exercise helps me to learn to keep my tongue down and throat open. I am more consistent staying in my belting voice (I define belting as a speaking voice, chest voice, loud, pitch a little above center) and avoiding nasal tone.

• Members

Seems to me that that would release tension in
her
throat, no?

:idk:

Without a doubt. I call her 'velvet tongue'! Seriously, it helps me remain focused during the gig and kinda puts me in a relaxed state. Has to be done that way though, any other method of 'release' doesn't work.

• Members

Make sure it's not too hot a beverage though. Scalding the throat is pretty rough. Room temperature also works. It will lubricate the chords but they should not contract and become constricted. Warming up properly is a MUST before just diving into full out singing. Otherwise you're chords will not be flexible enough and will be too tight to A. Grant your voice it's full potential, and will B. Harm you over time. It's exactly like how a dancer warms up to prep for the actual act of dancing. It's expected in that arena otherwise injuries occur acute and chronic. I should think that physical activity is good before hand because it gets the circulation going and warms up the entire body. Always good before any sort of physical activity, and let's face it, singing IS physical. You may not be doing handsprings, but the vocal chords ARE performing sort of an acrobatic actiity if you ask me. I don't know for sure, but this sounds right. There are also certain foods you should NOT eat before singing if you want to be at the best of your ability. Dairy products. Awful! As if Coffee. Alcohol isn't good short or long term for the chords. And it goes without saying that cigarette smoking is basically like ripping them right out of your throat and burying them somewhere. No Bueno. i think this last point was also mentioned already but just to be clear, if you really don't want the throat to close up, don't over belt. It can be a really hard habit to break. I know. I had to, but there are alternatives. Hopefully the type of singing you do allows this.

I personally just do vocal excersizes every time I can before singing. EVERY TIME if possible and I mean it. As for performances, I like to meditate on it in quiet before beginning. It's like a ritual which i think is fun to have in such cases and calms the mind. To sing correctly takes concentration and the body should respond better to physical activity if there is not a bunch of distraction swimming around in your head.

good luck with the singing!

Archived