Changing the tone of your voice

aerianne

• Members

So I was working on some songs last night for my band... and I noticed that when I'm between probably A4 or B4 and C5, I'm pretty on pitch... occasionally flat but not too bad. If I go below that, my pitch is all over the place... is there something I'm missing? Also, the notes don't come out as clear - kind of like I'm mumbling. Thoughts, anyone?

• Members

Do you feel you’re actually having trouble singing those notes you mention? Straining? Or not even just straining, but them just not feeling EASY? I assume these aren’t automatically in your effortlessly-sung range, but there must be exercises to improve this…

• Members
Hmm.. are you thinking about someone like Michael Bolton? AFAIK it
is
chest voice, at least in the sense that it's the lower register. Some singers, instead of trying to smooth over the transition between chest and head voice, work to move that break point up till it gets above the range in which they want to sing. I don't
think
it's generally recommended (as it probably strains the voice more) but I'm happy to be corrected on that
:)

Yeah, it is not recommended, and it's called belting. It sounds manufactured and jammed up, nothing pleasant about it.

• Members

I think your Ok with the registers, but your voice is lacking breath support and resonance. Also your pitch is somewhat shaky: you have to know the song a little better, interval wise before you put it down.
Also good luck sifting through all this banter, in trying to find real advice.

• Members

Not straining, but I don't hit them as "strongly" because they're so low... so they feel like they're really far back in my throat... if that makes any sense

That gets better with resonance: Low tones travel through the upper chest aria and that's where you should feel a lot more vibration.

• Members

I find I'm ok (I think??) in low notes, except REALLY low ones that I've never quite been able to do properly...I don't count these notes as being in my range really...cause I can't sing them nicely and with much depth or tone. I may be able to JUST (sometimes) reach them, but nothing more.

I'd have to hear some of these low notes you speak of to be able to maybe tell what might be going on...

• Members

you have a good voice just sounded like at the end when the music picked up you kept singing in the "heady" voice. even when you play acoustic don't be afraid to belt it out. because 1. you have a great voice and 2. people connect with that and that's what can make it memorable. but once again you really don't have much to worry about good voice :)

Archived