Why can't you people understand Plain English?!

the_big_geez

• Members

Originally posted by Les_Izzmor

I remember seeing somewhere that somebody once said you could spell "fish" GHOTI.

You use the GH sound from enough

The O would be pronounced like it is in women

And the TI would get its sound from its pronounciation in "TION".

I believe that was Jonathan Swift.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by fureybass

You have to remember that English is derived from many different languages. Though it comes from Germanic mother tongue, there is still a healthy amount of romantic languages. Which would cause a lot of overlap in vocabulary.

Also there is a funny class thing in the development of english which caused roast "beast" to become 'Beef" and "pig" to also be called "Pork". The Angles and Saxons and Britons and invading Normans all had to hash out a language together.

................. Taking Latin is the best thing I ever did to improve my grasp of grammar.

I couldn't agree more. I took two years of Latin and learning the language gives one a deeper appreciation for the nuances of English and other Romance languages. It was a complex set of rules to learn, to say the least.

But, I still say the two most interesting and somewhat mysterious words in the English language are {censored} and {censored}.

There is an absolutely hilarious recording I've heard about the many uses of the word {censored} and they are all true.

Anyone here know of a history of these two words?

• Members

Originally posted by SA Rios

Hey, professor Know it all. There should be no comma after English.

+1

This is the correct form for writing it in proper English.

Here's another one for you:

Raise vs Raze

Main Entry: raze

Pronunciation: 'rAz

Function: transitive verb

Inflected Form(s): razed; raz

• Members

in my book, i think that if you don't want to learn English here in The United States, then get the F*&k out dip{censored}s! i'm talkin bout those that think we should learn spanish, make it all Kosie for them, ruin our economy, soak us taxpayers, and take our jobs!:mad:

talk bout ignorance:mad: :rolleyes::mad:

• Members

Originally posted by SA Rios

Hey, professor Know it all. There should be no comma after English.

Actually, using a comma between the penultimate and ultimate items in a list (i.e., a 'serial comma'), in this case 'speaks English' and 'knows the rules of grammar', is neither necessary nor forbidden. Certain customs are followed more often in different settings, but no concrete rule applies.

In this instance, since the list consists of only two items, the comma would generally be ommitted (thus making your statement correct).

Further, Craig is also incorrect to remove the verb at the end of the sentence, since there is no reason to, and even in his construction the verb remains implicit.

• Members
Originally posted by Geddy'sFavHeadache

in my book, i think that if you don't want to learn English here in The United States, then get the F*&k out dip{censored}s! i'm talkin bout those that think we should learn spanish, make it all Kosie for them, ruin our economy, soak us taxpayers, and take our jobs!
:mad:

talk bout ignorance:mad:
:rolleyes::mad:

Indeed...All of "those people" who are too ignorant to have learned proper english should do so!

You first...

• Members
Originally posted by King Kashue

Actually, using a comma between the penultimate and ultimate items in a list (i.e., a 'serial comma'), in this case 'speaks English' and 'knows the rules of grammar', is neither necessary nor forbidden. Certain customs are followed more often in different settings, but no concrete rule applies.

In this instance, since the list consists of only two items, the comma would generally be ommitted (thus making your statement correct).

Further, Craig is also incorrect to remove the verb at the end of the sentence, since there is no reason to, and even in his construction the verb remains implicit.

Why ya got to come up in here and make some of us feel even more stupid? I thought I knew the basic rules of grammar and you just slammed my d!ck in the dirt.
:(

• Members

Just to be picky Kashue...

Isn't the sentence in question really a compound predicate? SA Rios is right that a comma shouldn't be there. But it's because a phrase follows 'and' not an independent clause, which would require a comma.

• Members
Originally posted by Thunderbroom

Why ya got to come up in here and make some of us feel even more stupid? I thought I knew the basic rules of grammar and you just slammed my d!ck in the dirt.

:(

Because I can't feel smart unless I make others feel stupid...It's a sickness...:(

Though I didn't actually direct it at you (or anyone, except for a minor correction to Craig), I can assure you, your dick didn't enter into my thinking at all...And don't worry about knowing the rules of grammar, I can assure you, it doesn't help in day to day life, and from my experience, it provides no assistance in getting women to like you...:D

• Members

Just to be picky Kashue...

Isn't the sentence in question really a compound predicate? SA Rios is right that a comma shouldn't be there. But it's because a phrase follows 'and' not an independent clause, which would require a comma.

The comma after 'speaks English' in the second statement shouldn't be there, which is what I said when agreeing with SA Rios (why you're "being picky" about a statement upon which we agree, I don't know)...

The comma after Ugana in the original statement should be changed to a period, as Craig said.

• Members

in my book, i think that if you don't want to learn English here in The United States, then get the F*&k out dip{censored}s! i'm talkin bout those that think we should learn spanish, make it all Kosie for them, ruin our economy, soak us taxpayers, and take our jobs!

I hope your post was intended to be satirical. If not, then you should be the first to leave this country as your post is loaded with bad grammer and improper English.

• Members

Do not lie to t-broom. Chicks love proper grammar and words like penultimate. Come on, my education's got be good for something!

Yep...Assistant Manager at Wendy's...(I of course shall be manager, since a Ph.D. takes you places)...

• Members

All living languages are naturally grown constructs have their own quirks. My 12 year old son speaks, reads, and writes three languages fluently. Since no one has told him yet, that this sort-of-hard, he believes it's perfectly normal and doesn't give it a second thought.

English is certainly learnable (is this a word ?). At least you don't have to learn all those genders, which are completely random in most European languages and a dead give away that you are not a native for all but the most experienced foreigners.

I once took a ferry from Denmark into Sweden. At the passport control the officer waved everyone through who could exchange a few words with him. He basically told me: "everyone who can talk Swedish without an accent has a right to enter the country".

• Members

"cozy"

• Members
Originally posted by beam

He's from Uganda and speaks Gujarati?

I assume he is of Indian decent?

no, indian descent :)

Actually, he got kicked out of Uganda under Idi Amin [sp?] very young, and settled in India before coming to London.

• Members

Originally posted by Kaesh

English is very simple. The only confusing thing can be the pronounciation and ortography(spelling), and still, it's not that hard comparing to other languages. Everything else is a walk in the park.

Tak

+1

• Members
Originally posted by boseengineer

I once took a ferry from Denmark into Sweden. At the passport control the officer waved everyone through who could exchange a few words with him. He basically told me: "everyone who can talk Swedish without an accent has a right to enter the country".

So what he really said was: No Danes allowed?:D

• Members
Originally posted by King Kashue

Yep...Assistant Manager at Wendy's...(I of course shall be manager, since a Ph.D. takes you places)...

C'mon, like, what kind of like, chicks at like, Wendy's or like McD's will be like impressed with YOUR proper grammerrr? Hmmmm? I like doudt they will like, or even like get it.

Ill, whateverrrrr.. :rolleyes:

One other to add to the original list:
If people from Poland are called Poles then why aren't people from Holland called Holes?

And from the NFL, we call the Tampa Bay Buccaneers the bucs and the Denver Broncos the Broncs, so why don't we call the Tenessee Titans the Tits? Or, would it be Tits? :)

Archived