What's the deal with the Lakland "Skyline" basses???

rig-talk.com

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Fran da Man

**Kicks back and puts on a pot of Coffee**

Back in my "flamefest" days in the HC Amp Forum, I could chew this kid up and poop him out. But I don't really have the energy to devote to that anymore. :(

Chris

• Moderators

Originally posted by SgtThump

Back in my "flamefest" days in the HC Amp Forum, I could chew this kid up and poop him out. But I don't really have the energy to devote to that anymore.
:(

Chris

Nor would it be appropriate. You're not on the HC Amp Forum.

• Members

"Maybe you're too dumb to figure that out, being a bass player and all."

oh snap...:D

I'm getting a 5502 myself and from what I've seen the MIA Laklands are nicer...but it might be my low-class ears but I can't tell a difference with the sound, but if I could afford one I'd do it in a heartbeat.

• Members

Back in my "flamefest" days in the HC Amp Forum, I could chew this kid up and poop him out. But I don't really have the energy to devote to that anymore.
:(

Chris

Interesting how you surmise age by post count. I'd guess that I'm almost certainly older than you. And I still think that after the number of posts you've made here that you'd have been aware of the search function. ;)

• Members

I don't know much about laklands and I've got even more posts...

I don't retain information that isn't immediately relavent. If I'm in the market for a new bass, I'll pay more attention.

• Members

Originally posted by Bassin' 'Round

Interesting how you surmise age by post count. I'd guess that I'm almost certainly older than you. And I still think that after the number of posts you've made here that you'd have been aware of the search function.
;)

You seem to be the only one worried about post count. I assumed you're a young kid from your actual posts, not the count. If you are indeed older than 18, wow...

Chris

• Members

Originally posted by chunkathalon

I don't know much about laklands and I've got even more posts...

I don't retain information that isn't immediately relavent. If I'm in the market for a new bass, I'll pay more attention.

Yes, please pay more attention or "Bassin' 'Round" will try to make you look like an idiot.

• Members

Yes, please pay more attention or "Bassin' 'Round" will try to make you look like an idiot.

I can look like an idiot without Bassin' 'Round's help, thankyouverymuch!

:mad:

:D

• Members

Originally posted by xvertirx

If I'm gonna spend $1200 it sure as hell ain't gonna be on a bass made in korea.

I have to agree with the previous post ...why? Koreans make some great products. If it is good enough for Michael Tobias (MTD), Lakland, Conklin, G&L, Zon. Ken Smith, Curbow etc. to build basses there wouldn't that indicate that they are are doing a pretty sweet job? Not to mention all the lower end gear like Epiphone that are (IMHO) well built here as well. Those Jack Cassidy Epiphones are well built as are the new Korean Tokais.

like a few others said if it is high quality and well built who cares where it is from?

also most of the Skylines are far less than $1200 that is just for the deluxe model..likely as good as most $3000 MIA basses.

I have been lucky enough to tour a few factories here in Korea and meet with a few companies as well. Top knotch facilities, modern, well maintained equipment, well trained workforce, great materials and spotless work areas....very impressive

the knee jerk anti-Korea reaction seems groundless and similar to the MIJ haters from the 80s and 90s....that turned out to be absurd as well (mmmm Sadowsky Metros...)

all that being said it is of course up to the individual where and how they spend their bass assigned dollars but for my money MIK is A-OK

:)

• Members

Originally posted by PrestiaRules

the knee jerk anti-Korea reaction seems groundless and similar to the MIJ haters from the 80s and 90s....that turned out to be absurd as well (mmmm Sadowsky Metros...)

Do you not realize that Korea has a crap track record with quality guitars and basses? Sure, that might've changed, but it's going to take a while for some of us to realize that. It's not am absurd "knee jerk" reaction, it's based to past experiences of playing Korean junk.

They might've very well changed, but it'll take a while for people to realize it (including me).

Chris

• Members

Do you not realize that Korea has a crap track record with quality guitars and basses? Sure, that might've changed, but it's going to take a while for some of us to realize that. It's not am absurd "knee jerk" reaction, it's based to past experiences of playing Korean junk.

They might've very well changed, but it'll take a while for people to realize it (including me).

Chris

Go get your hands on a Skyline, Cort Artisan or even an MTD Kingston. This new crop of instruments, built with excellent QC, and designed by Michael Tobias(as in the Kingston) and such, are tremendous bang for buck deals. The Kingston used to be available for under $500, and most of the others are around $600-$800. Those $1200+ Skylines make me drool, but are too much for a Korean model in my mind. For not much more, you could have both a Kingston and an Artisan and have your , er, basses covered. To me, Korean instruments have a certain feel to their necks and look to their finnishes. Prolly because they come from the same factory.

• Members

Originally posted by T. Alan Smith

Go get your hands on a Skyline, Cort Artisan or even an MTD Kingston. This new crop of instruments, built with excellent QC, and
designed
by Michael Tobias(as in the Kingston) and such, are tremendous bang for buck deals. The Kingston used to be available for under $500, and most of the others are around $600-$800. Those $1200+ Skylines make me drool, but are too much for a Korean model in my mind. For not much more, you could have both a Kingston and an Artisan and have your , er, basses covered. To me, Korean instruments have a certain feel to their necks and look to their finnishes. Prolly because they come from the same factory.

I would definitely love to try the $600-700 Lakland models. I might search around to see if there's a dealer in the area. I'll be honest about it too. If it feels great, I'll admit that no matter where it's made. I'm not a "snob" when it comes to gear.

Chris

• Members

I would definitely love to try the $600-700 Lakland models. I might search around to see if there's a dealer in the area. I'll be honest about it too. If it feels great, I'll admit that no matter where it's made. I'm not a "snob" when it comes to gear.

Chris

Well, if we didn't have opinions about gear, we wouldn't have Chris Squire & Bootsy Collins. :)

• Members

Hmmmm......interesting thread (and comments). I'd like to know what Korean made instruments are/were considered crap as I've not encountered any in my experience?? I consider them to be pretty damn well made instruments. I own a Lakland 55-01, a(Gibson) Tobias 'Toby' and an Ibanez SR505 (original model) and all basses play, look, sound and feel great IMO!

• Members

Originally posted by dwalmz

Hmmmm......interesting thread (and comments). I'd like to know what Korean made instruments are/were considered crap as I've not encountered any in my experience?? I consider them to be pretty damn well made instruments. I own a Lakland 55-01, a(Gibson) Tobias 'Toby' and an Ibanez SR505 (original model) and all basses play, look, sound and feel great IMO!

Were you playing back in the '80s and '90s? My memory could be wrong, but back then, I'm pretty sure that the Korean made stuff was junk. I don't recall them making higher end stuff in the Korean factory (factories?) back then. I think that's a fairly recent thing.

Archived