Active/passive switch

Archon_113

• Members

How difficult would it be for someone with extremely limited knowledge of electronics to install an active/passive switch in an active bass? And how much would it cost to get someone else to do this should it prove too difficult for me?

• Members

It can definitely be done, it just depends on how the electronics are set up as to how it will be done. Without any electronics knowledge at all it may be difficult. It could be a simple matter of installing a switch after the volume before it goes into the preamp. It might be more complicated... it depends entirely on the setup.

Are the pots mounted on a circuit board inside or is it individual wires connecting all the pots to the preamp?

• Members

Most likely all you'll need is a DPDT switch to bypass the hot output of the volume to the jack and to cut the power from the battery into the preamp. You could even replace the volume pot with push/pull pot of the same value. But of course, this depends on how the preamp is actually wired. I know how it would work on an Aggie or a Bart, but if the preamp is designed differently it might not be exactly the same. Is there any way for you to get a picture of the circuit?

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

I'd seriously advise against doing it by yourself if you don't know where you're going.

From what you describe, any guitar tech should be able to do it for 50 bucks.

I'd agree on this. If you don't know anything about circuits, then you probably don't know how to solder properly. Without a schematic and a multimeter it is going to be difficult for you to do this.

Archived