custom bass stuff continued

bassguy

• Members

ok, so i figure i can build the bass myself for cheeper than paying to get one done. i know im good in the shop, and my family is very hands on oriented so i have every tool except a electrical plainer, i do have a hand one but im assuming thats usless?

the problem is, i dont know if i want to build the neck. I know i want neck thru, and i know what woods i want, do you guys think warmoth can make neck thru blanks with my specs?

also for the body (zebra wood sandwich around ash) should i make a mock up out of something b4 i actually do the cutting?

also, how hard is it do do wooden pickup covers and wooden knobs?

any help is appricated (sp?)

• Members

You realize a bass isn't just a 2x4 with strings slapped on right ?

There are about a million problems to solve before properly doing it.

I suggest you stop random thinking and just play until the direction you wanna take clearly appears.

• Members

Warmoth doesnt do neck-thru designs, unless you maybe do some ultra-uber-kiss-ass begging. This what im doing , im going to go to home depot and buy some foam (the kind that comes in some pillows) i beleive you can buy it in sheets, however long your bass is going to be get in that length and however think your bass is going to be (in my case 1", 1-1/2") Buy a couple of squares, it shouldnt cost too much (no more than 5 bucks a sheet), get some googles and a face mask and start carving out what you want, it you can use scissors or a knife, it doesnt matter, once your happy with your design you should start with getting the wood and what-not.:)

• Members

I also suggest becoming friends with a luthier, but i think building a bass from scratch is something that should be taken on with supervision, which is why im getting one made, its a hole in the pocket, but it wont be a {censored}ed up hole in the pocket.:)

You have to think about every thing you want in it, how you want it to sound, look, feel, weigh, everything is a factor. Unless you want a copy of a bass things are different, im assuming you want your own shape so things get complicated. Ive been doing sketches, thinking about pickup choices, woods, everything for about 6 months, and theres still more to go, it takes time my friend, once your confident in your design and you send it in to get it made, once you receive it, it'll be all worth it.

Just my $.02

• Members

thats why sometimes you gotta leave ottawa,

im gonna drive to toronto in acouple of weeks to try out basses, just cause i cant find any i like here,

ive driven to Detroit on more that one occasion to try out insturments, just cuase its not available at a store doesnt mean you cant try it, talk to them they can bring them in free of charge for you to try, you just have to ask them

Archived