Scratch bass question

noodles4pres

• Members

Hi, I'm looking into buying my fretboard and my truss rod for my project neck right now.

My question is about truss rod lengths. I'm making a 34" scale EB3 style bass and I have two main choices for modern style dual action truss rods: a 22

• Members

How long is your fretboard? And you don't want it all to show.

Okay, 34" scale would be 34" from the nut to the bridge, (theoretically, before you add for intonation at the bridge). One octave would be 17" to the 12th fret, and from there to the 24th fret another 8.5". So that's 25.5" from the nut to the 24th fret.

You're going to want something as long as possible, while still having one end hidden from view and burried in enough material to make it strong. My guess is the 24" would work well, especially if you're doing a 35" scale. Buy it before you build around it.

• Members

Originally posted by bassman1956

How long is your fretboard? And you don't want it all to show.

Okay, 34" scale would be 34" from the nut to the bridge, (theoretically, before you add for intonation at the bridge). One octave would be 17" to the 12th fret, and from there to the 24th fret another 8.5". So that's 25.5" from the nut to the 24th fret.

You're going to want something as long as possible, while still having one end hidden from view and burried in enough material to make it strong. My guess is the 24" would work well, especially if you're doing a 35" scale. Buy it before you build around it.

Totally good point...

Now that I think of it the 24" does sound the best, I'll have to measure up my neck to see that it's perfect, but then I need to find out exactly how to install the rod under the fretboard.

I havn't seen a dual-action in place before, I know it needs a straight channel instead of one that scoops in the middle (for vintage truss rods), but I don't know much more than that (how it anchors at each end in particular).

Archived