Acoustic bass, your opinion, my final decision...

The Unknown

• Members

After trying many many ABG (acoustic bass guitars), I came to the conclusion I'm going to buy an Ibanez. Why ? Because they have similar features, looks, tones and unplugged volume then basses twice there price (I compared it to Fenders, Ovations, but also Takamines and Michael Kellys... the two last were maybe 1/4 of a notch higher in tone...).

The thing is, no stores have then in stock in town right now and I'm hesitating between the 2 available models: AEB8E and AEB10E... I only tried the AEB8E and liked it alot, but the AEB10E (which I never even saw in real life) has more features. the 8E is 2/3 of the price of the 10E, though... which makes me wonder if it's worth it to get the better model (which I never tried). Plus, if I get the 8E, I'd maybe have cash left over for a case... the 10E would have to be carried in it's cardboard box for a while... but would only be used for jams with friends, no gigging planed for now.

Both basses have: the same shape, same mahogany neck, same bridge, same preamp with built in tuner, XLR and 1/4 outputs.

What's different:

AEB8E: agathis top-back-sides, comes in solid black only (but I like black), plain rosette, Ibanez pickups, no name strings.

AEB10E: mahogany back and sides, spruce top, comes in natural or dark violin sunburst (DVS, sort of brown burst), abalone rosette (which looks very nice, speacially on the DVS finish), Fishman Sonicore pickups, D'addario strings stock.

So, what's your opinion ? Are the extra features worth the extra cash $$$ ?

• Members

If you're getting a cheaper acoustic bass, I'd suggest a gig bag over a case. Assuming you're going to want to do like me and bring it everywhere you go, a gig bag is much less annoying.

BTW, I made a mistake earlier, the Beaver Creek I have actually is a BCB05, NOT a BCB03 or 30 or whatever I thought it was... sorry, my mistake. And the gig bag that comes with the 05 is certainly not very well padded.

• Members

Originally posted by Thrash Jazz

If you're getting a cheaper acoustic bass, I'd suggest a gig bag over a case. Assuming you're going to want to do like me and bring it everywhere you go, a gig bag is much less annoying.

BTW, I made a mistake earlier, the Beaver Creek I have actually is a BCB05, NOT a BCB03 or 30 or whatever I thought it was... sorry, my mistake. And the gig bag that comes with the 05 is certainly not very well padded.

Well, I meant gigbag... And if I get the most expensive, I will get a gigbag later, but not in the next few weeks or months (waiting for a new job to start...)

And they are no Beaver Creek basses left anywhere around here, so I couldn't try'em out again... so I'm gonna go with Ibanez...

• Members

Originally posted by The Unknown

Well, I meant gigbag... And if I get the most expensive, I will get a gigbag later, but not in the next few weeks or months (waiting for a new job to start...)

Ah, ok, I thought you meant a hard case.

I voted for the cheaper one plus case, but I haven't tried those models so I don't know the difference in sound.

• Members

Originally posted by Thrash Jazz

Ah, ok, I thought you meant a hard case.

I voted for the cheaper one plus case, but I haven't tried those models so I don't know the difference in sound.

and your the only one who posted... others voted for the 10E...

Question: you don't think the extra features of the 10E are worth the extra cash ? That's actually what I'm worrying more about... The opinion of a fellow Godin BG4 user is not neglectable ;)

• Members

and your the only one who posted... others voted for the 10E...

Question: you don't think the extra features of the 10E are worth the extra cash ? That's actually what I'm worrying more about... The opinion of a fellow Godin BG4 user is not neglectable
;)

BG4 users in da house :cool:

Well, it's not that they aren't worth the extra cash... but I seem to remember you saying (if my sleep-deprived brain isn't conking out) that you wanted to get an acoustic mostly for jamming and playing anywhere you wanted, as opposed to having to plug in with an electric.

If that's the case... you said in the original post that both models had similar tones and unplugged volume, which is really what you were looking for if I recall correctly...

Obviously if you're playing unplugged the preamp quality doesn't really matter. The materials and construction DO matter... did the more expensive model play more easily, or any better than the cheaper one?

• Members

Originally posted by Bluesman0511

I played the AEB10E last week and loved it. $349 at Guitar Center here in T-Town. Sounded great through an amp. The black model is a real looker, too. I think I'm gonna go for it...

In the current line, they only make black AEB8E, the 10E is either natural or dark violin sunburst...

• Members

In the current line, they only make black AEB8E, the 10E is either natural or dark violin sunburst...

I have been seeing different model numbers beginning AEB10 with various leetes after. Don't know the specific model that I was playing, but I thought for sure it was an AEB10... and it was definitely black.

Thanks for the post. I will make damn sure it isn't an AEB8 that I was looking to buy.

[EDIT]

Looks like Ibanez upgraded the model to AEB10EBK (alphabet soup)... alsoappears as tho' they only offer black now...

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=AEB10EBK

[EDIT]

The AEB10ELG is the natural finish ( that would make the AEB10EBK the black one, duh!!) and looks like the dropped the dark violin finish.

• Members

I have been seeing different model numbers beginning AEB10 with various leetes after. Don't know the specific model that I was playing, but I thought for sure it was an AEB10... and it was definitely black.

Thanks for the post. I will make damn sure it isn't an AEB8 that I was looking to buy.

[EDIT]

Looks like Ibanez upgraded the model to AEB10EBK (alphabet soup)... alsoappears as tho' they only offer black now...

[EDIT]

The AEB10ELG is the natural finish ( that would make the AEB10EBK the black one, duh!!) and looks like the dropped the dark violin finish.

I solved the mystery !

USA available 4 string models: Black and Natural AEB10E

Canada available 4 string models: Black AEB8E, Dark Violin Sunburst and Natural AEB10E.

• Members

I'm gonna buy one...

I think I'll go to Guitar Center on Tuesday after the holiday and put it on my credit card. I'm pretty sure I can squeek it past my wife after all the cash she spends at the beauty shop and getting her nails done.

Not sure whether to spring for the hard case or not, 'tho. I've got hard cases for everything else I own, but I'm not sure I want to spend the extra $90.

• Members

I'm gonna buy one...

I think I'll go to Guitar Center on Tuesday after the holiday and put it on my credit card. I'm pretty sure I can squeek it past my wife after all the cash she spends at the beauty shop and getting her nails done.

Not sure whether to spring for the hard case or not, 'tho. I've got hard cases for everything else I own, but I'm not sure I want to spend the extra $90.

A gigbag is a good solution then, though some may cost more then a hard case...

• Members

Originally posted by basshunter

Get the 10E. First, the Fishman electronics make it worth it, second, the Mahogany/Spruce combination is tonally superior to the agathis IMO.

By the way, both have the same preamp... only the pickup is a fishman on the 10E...

Archived