Morley Power Wah (old silver model), thoughts ?

The Unknown

• Members

I know at least someone here has one... and some others might know about it... I'm talking about the old Morley that doesn't work with batteries (comes with a power cord). How is it with bass ? Any low cut ? How's the range with bass ? How does it compare to a newish Morley Pro Series (guitar) Wah used with bass ?

Thanks !

• Members

I like mine a good bit, actually.

You do need to do a bit of EQ'ing though to really get a really "bassy" sound out of it if you're playing say with a "regular" bass EQ. You definitely don't need to use the "Boost" switch, either. Whoa. I tried that one time, with the level set at about 3, and it was death for some picture frames on some friends' walls about 7 dorms down. :D I'd use it more if it were more usable, but for solos and stuff, it's pretty fun to mess with. I'm trying to incorporate it into my rig so I can do a little bit with it.

• Members

First off, these old Morleys had a serious design problem. TWO, actually!:

They use the l ight of the power lamp as the light source for the photovoltaic resistor that makes the whole WAH circuit.

Second, they installed them with duct tape.

While they work really well as long as the tape holds, it's a major mofo when the tape gives out! Esp. if you're on stage at the time!

Same goes for if that little light craps on you --it'll shut down your whole rig!

Morley fixed these problems by the time the black ones came out.

I don't find the frequency range of these to be useful for bass, but they could be eaasily tweaked...

• Members

Mine is prety powerful. The sweep is huge and it sounds cool as hell on guitar. As others have said, it's held together by tape and that's either bad or good. You can do a lot of tweaking to how much your foot moves and how much the wah wahs. The boost is cool set low since it adds some grit to your sound. It's a major tone sucker though. I'm not sure if this can be true by passed and fixed or not, but it makes my tone on any instrument sound like {censored} with it off.

I like what it does with my bass but the tone sucking sucks so I dont' use it. If it's fixable I'll bust a nut.

Yo.

• Members

Originally posted by Apendecto

I like what it does with my bass but the tone sucking sucks so I dont' use it.

OK, that's what I wanted to know in part... I spent quite a time trying pedals and I found a bunch (my actual permanent all true bypass pedalboard) that didn't suck out tone... I'll pass on that wah (I saw a used one and I wondered... was cheap)... I don't really need a wah but if it was a good occasion, I would have got it for fun... 'guess I'll be using the cash for a couple of string sets !

• Members

Originally posted by Apendecto

How much is cheap?

Couple sets of webstrings = $18

Hmmm. I'd still buy it if it was under $100 bucks. Look on ebay to see why.

Yo.

There's one at 31$ closing in 8 hours... and you'd spend 100$ on one ?

Archived