TC Helicon Voice Live 2 As An Audio Interface

smallmouth

• Members

One thing I learned from reading the Voice Live 2 manual is that with its USB, it can be interfaced with a computer for recording. At first it looked like USB disabled the midi, which it does in terms of the actual midi ports, but on further reading it looks like the keyboard is still input through the USB. Can anyone tell me if the VL2 can be used this way, actually saving you the expense of an audio interface for the computer for recording purposes. This would definitely make it worth saving for.

My understanding from the manual is that you could a feed a midi signal via the midi in of the device, however, the USB works strictly for audio... For further and better replies, I would post your question under the Voice Live 2 review.

The VL2 manual clearly states that Midi and USB cannot be active at the same time. My query is in regard to being able to record midi info into the computer through the USB. I haven't gone too deeply into recording but I do know that if your audio interface has midi capabilty you could record midi keyboard through MIDI IN as well as being able to record keyboard audio output through the audio in. (The audio recording is what you would want to have in your finished recording. Using midi recording of the keyboard parts would require a keyboard or sound module and would save you disk space but you would have to ultimately have the keyboard parts recorded as audio. So if the VL2 can only input the midi instrument as an audio signal it would still work as an audio interface.)

The manual actually mentions that the VL2 can provide an audio interface with your computer. The thing is most interfaces have midi ports whereas it sounds like with the VL2 you either have midi transmission or USB interchange but one incapacitates the other. Does anyone have any insight on this?

God Bless,

Don

Archived