people who use a guitar amp for bass

ImaSmrtBaby

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

I think it's more an issue of the speakers than the amp part itself. I've played guitar through my bass rig before with no problems at all.

Yea. You will have more of a problem with combos than just amp heads. As T-broom said, it's the speakers.

• Members

I have, on occasion, used my Peavey 400 Renown Combo amp, with the guitar speakers unplugged, driving 2 of my 2/15" Bassman cabs. It will pull a 2 ohm load with no problem. It has 13 band eq, so it sounds really surprisingly well for bass.

• Members

Sunn Lead Guitar head and 4x12 cab. Marshall heads and big ol' 2x15s would work nicely aswell. You can use guitar amps and cabs but your going to blow the guitar speakers, without a doubt. The head, on the other hand, will be ok but you won't get very loud.

• Members

Originally posted by bnyswonger

I use a Marshall 100w Superlead and two stock giutar 12' Celestions for as the upper half of a biamp rig.

I sounds a little better to me than a tweeter.
;)

*drool* Por favor, could you post your rig? (and what everything is).

• Members

Originally posted by SpaceGhost

*drool* Por favor, could you post your rig? (and what everything is).

Well sure -

215DCP04711-med.JPG

'76 SVT > 2 single 15" SSI cabs w/ JBL K145s

'73 Marshall 100w > 1 SSI 2 x 12" celestions (sealed cab)

rack - Boss SE-50 multi-FX ; Ratt R2DU (two ratts - one for each amp) ; power supply.

here's my pedalboard & another shot of the rack...

215DSCN0252.JPG

• Members

I bought the Marshall sometime around 1977...along with an angled 4x12" cab that matched. I honestly can't remember what I paid for them, but it was used - I'm thinking around $750 for both.

The head is in excellent working condition, but not cosmetically pristine...I've seen similar ones around here selling for $1200 - $1500.

• Members

I've never tried a guitar head into bass cabs, but when I first got my first bass, I was borrowing an old guitar amp that he had since I had yet to buy an amp. It was an old Airliner amp that was made by Montgomerey Ward in the 60s. I was afraid that I was going to blow something on it every time that I plugged into it.

Now a guitar into a bass combo is a different story. When I did a few minor repairs to my friend's Les Paul, I plugged it into my Ampeg and it sounded fine.

• Members

Sweet rig!! How in the sam hill do you bi=amp that rig..please be specific as I would like to try something like that myself.I have numerous amps and need to know the necessary equipment I would need to pull this off..thank you natti-man.;)

• Members

Originally posted by phatster

Sweet rig!! How in the sam hill do you bi=amp that rig..please be specific as I would like to try something like that myself.I have numerous amps and need to know the necessary equipment I would need to pull this off..thank you natti-man.
;)

I'm assuming this question is for me since I'm the only one who posted a photo.

I started using two amps for bass back in the mid-'70s after getting an Acoustic 370 rig and discovering it had very liittle to offer over about 600 hz. So I started using a sunn concert lead amp with a 6 x 10" cab along side it and ran a Y into both. The 10"s gave me the presence the acoustic couldn't andI set the amp to work in conjuction with the acoustic - rolling off most of the lows on the Sunn. I never used a crossover, just adjusted the amps to work together. That's what I still do.

I don't ask the Marshall to do much more than give me some nice presence in the top end - that's why I can get away with using stock 12" guitar celestions. All the beef comes from the Ampeg & 15"s. Another benefit of running things this way is you can use stereo effects - for instance when I use a chorus I have my SE-50 programmed to chorus only the top end.

There are those who will tell you you HAVE to use a crossover if you're biamping...I disagree. You just have to choose the right amps and take some time getting them adjusted to do what they do best together.

• Members

I do the same thing as Bob, except my speakers aren't quite as nice.

rigofdoom.jpg

No crossover, just roll of the bass on the Sunn. The 15s in the top cab are webers, which are really more like guitar speakers than bass, but still provide decent low end when standing alone. My Eminence Kappa Pro 15LF for the bottom cab should be arriving any day now, though, so it should sound really kickass once I get that installed. (current speaker sounds like a wet fart)

EDIT: I also use an MXR Distorsion+ as a boost for the Sunn only when I just need a lil' extra grind, sustain & volume. Works great & sounds great, too. I just need some new strings now. :(

• Members

Originally posted by bnyswonger

Well sure -

215DCP04711-med.JPG

'76 SVT > 2 single 15" SSI cabs w/ JBL K145s

'73 Marshall 100w > 1 SSI 2 x 12" celestions (sealed cab)

rack - Boss SE-50 multi-FX ; Ratt R2DU (two ratts - one for each amp) ; power supply.

here's my pedalboard & another shot of the rack...

215DSCN0252.JPG

I envy that rig so much.....

Mostly the speakers really, as I'm happy with my heads. I just want better cabs. ;)

Archived