computer help.

TheDude15k

• Members

im totally a noob when it comes to computers. whats the difference between a pentium 4 and a pentium m processor? which is better? Im looking for a notebook computer but im not really sure what all to look for. help please! lol thanks.

-rob-

• Members

Originally posted by mxpxfan

IIRC the M is for mobile, which is designed for laptops.

...which also means that Pentium M-based laptops generally run longer on battery power.

Pentium 4 is still a more powerful processor. But Pentium M's are not nearly as bad as... say... Celerons... ick!! :p

• Members

Originally posted by TheDude15k

So if i got a notebook with a pentium 4 it would essentially be faster, but the battery would not lats as long without being plugged in? is this right?

As a general rule... yes.

Personally, I haven't noticed much difference in speed between a Pentium M and a Pentium 4. However... I also haven't had a lot of experience using Pentium M's for processor intensive applications.

• Members

As far as I've seen-- the new P4M chips that have the whole "centrino" package installed (wireless internet + mobile pentium CPU) perform nearly on par with desktop machines. The new P4M's have 2MB of onboard cache, which makes execution a bit faster-- since the queue can get longer, which means the CPU doesn't have to poll the RAM for instructions as frequently. the result is much higher speed (read: throughput) than the original PM.

My notebook runs at 1.6GHz (1024MB RAM, 128MB Video) and I get ~3 hours of battery time when I'm working with normal stuff, and slightly less with DVD playback or gaming. my machines at work are 2.4GHz and the notebook feels just about as fast.

• Members

what is the best processor out there? what is an athlon like?

Athlons are nice. But I'm not up to speed on their mobile technology.

They are (arguably) just as fast, if not faster, than their Intel counterparts. But Intel chips have one more cycle of error-checking. IMPO, not real important unless it's a server, some client-based database (which there aren't too many), or some spreadsheet on steroids.

• Members

Originally posted by PaulyWally

Athlons are nice. But I'm not up to speed on their mobile technology.

They are (arguably) just as fast, if not faster, than their Intel counterparts. But Intel chips have one more cycle of error-checking. IMPO, not real important unless it's a server, some client-based database (which there aren't too many), or some spreadsheet on steroids.

Don't athlons run a lot hotter than Intel CPUs? I have a 2 year old athlon in my home machine. Never had a lick of troublke with it, but I upgraded the fan and the motherboard ( this is a noname system I bought off the web at www.pcusa.com ). I would personally stay away from an athlon in a notebook.

• Members

The Pentium M is a great performer, don't let its slower clock speed compared to P4's put you off.

Interestingly, the new dual-core Athlon 64's wipe the floor with Intel's dual-core Pentium 4's. They run cooler, as well.

• Members

Originally posted by Rippin' Robin

*silently backs up out of this topic*

haha. I have two friends of mine that have apple computers and love them. one uses hers mainly for digital photography and the other primarily uses his for recording music. but both of them swear on these computers. I wouldnt mind getting one but i heard that alot of programs, such as fruity loops cannot be used on a mac.

• Members

Originally posted by Bluesman0511

Don't athlons run a lot hotter than Intel CPUs? I have a 2 year old athlon in my home machine. Never had a lick of troublke with it, but I upgraded the fan and the motherboard ( this is a noname system I bought off the web at
www.pcusa.com
). I would personally stay away from an athlon in a notebook.

I've got one in my HP, has run for 2 years no problems.

• Members

what do yall think about apple computers?

They rock. But be prepared for a bit of a change, and potential incompatibility. I've got a copy of most PC programs on there, but I still run into problems here and there.

Archived