clarity and multiple speakers--frequency fighting?

500Hz

• Members

...so i'm diggin my new gk head, and learning to set it for the 112 and 115 running at the same time...i've noticed less clarity when running both together

i'm getting the clarity back by knob adjustments

i'm considering it's due to multiple possibilities, a couple being that it's running at 4 ohms and thus pushing more power, and/or the speakers are competing for frequency space

i'm playing a lot and listening, seeing what adjustments sound like, so i'm figuring it out--eq adjustment helps, as does balancing input and master volumes

anyhow...just thought i'd share and see if anyone has comments:)

i love playing bass:cool:

• Members

I think that it is the speaker impedance-- you might try cutting your lows a bit.

Also, (and this is just a theory) maybe it would help to set the input gain a little lower than normal, to make sure that the pre doesn't clip (at some difficult to hear, way low frequency), and then set the volume with the master.

• Members

Originally posted by scarecrowbob

I think that it is the speaker impedance-- you might try cutting your lows a bit.

Also, (and this is just a theory) maybe it would help to set the input gain a little lower than normal, to make sure that the pre doesn't clip (at some difficult to hear, way low frequency), and then set the volume with the master.

i think cutting the lows when running at 4 ohms with both cabs is something that helped it quite a bit--thanks!

• Members

Lemme see if I'm remembering this right....you just got the 1001RB, right?

Isn't that bi-ampable, with 700 rms going to the bottom, and, like 300 rms going to the top, or something like that? I remember I looked into them 'way back when I made the decision to bi-amp....

So, what settings have you got there that sound good to you?

• Members

Originally posted by timmerz

Lemme see if I'm remembering this right....you just got the 1001RB, right?

Isn't that bi-ampable, with 700 rms going to the bottom, and, like 300 rms going to the top, or something like that? I remember I looked into them 'way back when I made the decision to bi-amp....

So, what settings have you got there that sound good to you?

hi man--good memory:D

yeah, it's the 1001, and it's bi-ampable, so basically it uses 2 4-wire speakon connectors--1 to the 112, and 1 to the 115...each of the cabs has a tweeter and woofer, so each cable biamps the signal to each cab, giving all the power to the woofers and 50-75 to the tweeters

with this connection setup, for a general home-volume rock sound i have the contour and presence both at 0

treble--10:00

hi-mid--11:00

lo-mid--12:00

bass--12:00

boost--1:00

tweeter--10:00

woofer--12:00

input volume--10:00

the thing i like about this head is that with everything flat, it sounds good, so it's pretty easy to adjust from there...i do most of the work from my bass and leave the amp alone

i'm going to experiment with running one of the cabs full-range tomorrow:)

Archived