Jazz Bass Build: Progress Thread

500Hz

• Members

My tech back home has agreed help spec and build a Jazz bass from parts. I was telling a couple of you about it in my finish thread, and decided it might be cool to keep a thread updated with progress photos and news from start to finish.

As of now, the specs:

Body: Lightweight Swamp Ash, front routed

Neck: Quartersawn Maple

Fingerboard: Lined, dotted Fretless Ebony

Pickups: DiMarzio or SD Jazz

Bridge: BadAss

Finish: Nitrocellulose lacquer, Mary Kay on body, slight tint on neck

I began the initial search for the right body weeks ago, and finally made my purchase today, so we'll begin here:

Warmoth body, 4.6 lbs, out for delivery tomorrow:

• Members

Originally posted by DrSquirley

So hows the progress. God, im bored.

-Alex

:D

i'm hoping to purchase the bulk of the parts by the end of next week, as this will likely be the only time off from work i'll get for a good while

any suggestions on the pickups?

i like what i get from my fender vintage jazz--just looking for a good, solid, no frills set with typical jazz wiring--v, v, tone

• Members

Originally posted by 500Hz

:D

i'm hoping to purchase the bulk of the parts by the end of next week, as this will likely be the only time off from work i'll get for a good while

any suggestions on the pickups?

i like what i get from my fender vintage jazz--just looking for a good, solid, no frills set with typical jazz wiring--v, v, tone

Fender Custom Shop 60's Pick-ups and custom-wound Fralins (wound for a vintagae tone, of course) will probably get you the typical vintage sound well. If you want to spend a bit more money, I've heard that Nordstrand are great and unbeatable (they also simulate a hand-wound wiring).

• Members

Originally posted by 500Hz

Check out the Nordstrand NJ4's. I have two MIA J's, one with Fralins and the other with Nordstrands. The NJ4's seem to put out a lot more of a vintage vibe, the kind of sound that makes you put on a set of cheap sun glasses, sit back and go, "Oooooh, ya!".

Smash, one of the Talkbass mods, did a pretty good review of a ton of pickups here. Check it out!

• Members

Originally posted by Emprov

Check out the Nordstrand NJ4's. I have two MIA J's, one with Fralins and the other with Nordstrands. The NJ4's seem to put out a lot more of a vintage vibe, the kind of sound that makes you put on a set of cheap sun glasses, sit back and go, "Oooooh, ya!".

definately check out the NJ4's

Archived