New Rig - Genz Benz

BassDemon

• Members

I'm looking at making some changes to my Rig.

My current rig is

Modulus Quantum 5 and G.Gould GGi5

Demeter HBP-1 preamp

QSC PLX2402 power amp 700w @ 4ohms stereo

(Stacked top to bottom)

SWR 1x15

SWR 4x10

SWR 1x18

All up the cabs are 76" high. It is the bass rig of doom.

At some gigs with the 4u rack on top it touches the ceiling.

It is very very loud, up against two full stacks (two 4x12 cabs with 100w amps) I can still fill the room with deep punchy bass.

The downside is that it's a pain in the backside to transport the rig. None of the cabs have castors and they are all heavy beasts.

I am look at replacing all three cabs with a pair of Genz Benz Neo 2x12s.

Stacked up they will still make an imposing rig and from the reviews they sound great an project well.

My question is - will I get enough volume out of the two 2x12 cabs ?

Has anyone tried a pair of them at high volume

• Members

My 4-12 has 4 delta 12 lf's in it. The cab is rated at 2000 watts, but my amp is only 600. I've never gotten to play any gigs where I had reason to turn it up past 3 or 4. I'd say you'll get the volume you want but your low end will be lacking. 12's are the best for mids. I'm going to a 2-12 and a 1-18 because the 12's by themselves don't have much shake. the 12's I have start to lose power below 100 hz. If you want to keep your low end, I'd suggest keeping your 15 or 18.

• Members
:D He he he !!! ARE YOU KIDDING???!!!!! I have two Aguilar GS-212's. I also have a Demeter HBP-1 that I power up with a QSC PLX-3402. 1100W into each 4 ohm cab. LOUD ENOUGH???!!!!! I think so!!!!! Wall-shaking, table-moving, suck-the-air-out-of-their-lungs LOUD!!!!!!!:D Two x 212 cab's that can handle lots of power, like the Agiies, or the GB's, and given enough power, as your QSC pretty much does, pretty much means you'll have volume, punch, and presence to spare! Oh, and, as always in such matters, YMMV:) 700w per cab ain't quite what 1100w per is. But it is still plenty!!

• Members

Originally posted by shelbass

What happened to your RBI Bassdemon?

I sold it a few months back

I wanted a change in tone and the RBI wouldn't clean up enough.

The Demeter is more Hi-fi and responds better to playing dynamics.

With the RBI I could have clear tone or crunch but not at the same time.

With the Demeter I can set it for crisp and clean and then dig in for more bite and growl.

Plus new gear is always cool !

• Members

Originally posted by MacGarnicle

Hey Bassdemon, I'm considering the exact same cab setup for the same reasons (metal band, want volume without the weight/bulk).

If you get your GB2x12s first let me know how it goes and i'll do likewise.

Cheers

No worries Bro - you send me the cash and I'll put my order in today :)

I am sorely tempted as I've been given a price of $1299 each.

This is way cheaper than SWR, Mesa, Ampeg 2x12s and the consensus is that Genz Benz kicks the crap out of all of them.

Archived