Upright ! Need your input, will proceed with an aquisition in a short while.

The Unknown

• Members

Hi !

I haven't been posting lately... I started a new job and it's taking lots of my time. Good news is, I will have $$$ for an acoustic upright shortly (a month or so).

Now I have a few questions. I hope to have your input on these:

1. Adjustable bridge : really worth the shot ? I heard it prevent's from getting setups all the time.

2. Fragility and tolerence to weather: is it really a big deal with laminate uprights ? I mean, some people are actually touring with uprights so they shouldn't be getting real weird just by sitting at your house, don't they ?

3. Chinese: really instant crap ? I tried 2 chinese uprights lately (Menzel and higher end Palatino) and was surprised by the tone I got for the price they asked. The Palatino had such a great setup made on it, so good of a playability, it made me wonder if it was worth it to double the cash spent to get a Strunal... Anything I should really know about chinese made uprights ?

4. Long term durability: Should I think about this or is it pretty sure any instrument that is well taken care of should last... In that line of thought, am I better off with a new upright so that I know how it is maintained or a used one is better as a proof of durability ?

5. Anything else ?

Thanks !

• Members

1. A good idea if you find one already on a bass, but easy to add later.

2. The glue uprights are made with SHOULD be animal glue. This allows the thing to be pulled apart easily for reparis by using heat. Consequently the glue can come undone and fukl up with temp swings.

Also large amounts of pushing and pulling take place just due to the size of the thing and temperature changes.

3. So far.. what Ive tried in this fair land... Yes.

4. They are fuking expensive so durability counts.

5. Enjoy playing.

• Members

Originally posted by D Aussie

1. A good idea if you find one already on a bass, but easy to add later.

2. The glue uprights are made with SHOULD be animal glue. This allows the thing to be pulled apart easily for reparis by using heat. Consequently the glue can come undone and fukl up with temp swings.

Also large amounts of pushing and pulling take place just due to the size of the thing and temperature changes.

3. So far.. what Ive tried in this fair land... Yes.

4. They are fuking expensive so durability counts.

5. Enjoy playing.

Thanks for your answer... I just can't wait to get the money together to finally get one of these... I spotted a Tcheck-made laminate top at 1200$ including a pickup and a gigbag. Nice deal ?

• Members

I'd try and get some more money together first. You are going to probably be unable to replace the bass for quite a while so waiting for a better bass will pay long term dividends.

Check with the local symphony. A lot times one of their bass players may have something available.

A one piece maple bridge provides maximum effect of the strings to the sound board, more than an adjustable does.

Archived