What the @#$%???

The Aardvark

• Members

That's a completely stupid price. First, it doesn't have a 4-band EQ. More like 2 bands one the bass channel and 3 on the guitar channel. Next, They usually don't go for much more than $450, and that's mint. I got my 135 for $349, and that was with a bad hum.

A mint blackface or blonde bassman I can see going for that much, but silverfaces just aren't as desireable. Granted, they're great amps, but not worth that much. You can get a Sunn 2000s for that price that will eat that amp alive and use the power cord as floss for that kind of money.

• Members

Originally posted by The Ox

That's a completely stupid price.

A mint blackface or blonde bassman I can see going for that much, but silverfaces just aren't as desireable.

That's what I thought. A Bassman 135 shouldn't be going for anywhere near that price. Instrument Exchange is evil. Pure evil.

• Members

Originally posted by Adrenochrome

That is a lot of money for a whole
100 watts
of bass power. Might be okay for a quiet band when you want mellow or vintage tones.

No, it's good when you want a screaming overdriven tone in a loud band. It's still not worth that much, though.

• Members

Originally posted by The Aardvark

Not for a Bassman 135

Yah... I see that now; I have a hard time tellin th difference between the different things ;).

Still, isn't it the case that they are "worth" whatever people will pay for the things?

Or, rather, what people will sell the things for?

• Members

Originally posted by The Ox

No, it's good when you want a screaming overdriven tone in a loud band. It's still not worth that much, though.

I've had one Bassman 100 + several 50 watt Bassman amps that I use for guitar. YMMV, but I couldn't get the overdrive from my Bassman 100 that I can easily get from my other Bassman amps. The 100 stayed clean until about 9 whereas the Bassmans start to break up around 4. I'm considering getting a 135 because if it stays clean like my 100 did It may be a very good bass amp. But I wouldn't want one for guitar unless I was playing clean all the time (which I don't, and then I'd prefer a Twin Reverb).

• Members

Originally posted by The Aardvark

I've had one Bassman 100 + several 50 watt Bassman amps that I use for guitar. YMMV, but I couldn't get the overdrive from my Bassman 100 that I can easily get from my other Bassman amps. The 100 stayed clean until about 9 whereas the Bassmans start to break up around 4. I'm considering getting a 135 because if it stays clean like my 100 did It may be a very good bass amp. But I wouldn't want one for guitar unless I was playing clean all the time (which I don't, and then I'd prefer a Twin Reverb).

My bassman wasn't that clean all the way up to 9, but mine also had some electrical problems. The Music Man HD130, which is basically a bassman with EL34s & solid state preamp, is VERY clean, and has a gigantic low end. The distorsion is laughable, however, for bass, but for guitar it sounds quite nice actually.

• Members

I've always liked the bassman amps for their warm, clean sound for a bass. I never play distorted bass, so I'd want one that's clean higher up on the dial. For guitar I prefer a Pro Reverb for warm/clean, and a nice overdrive. I like the Pro because it has built in tremelo.

Archived