First time playing out in several months

Sixgun77

• Members

We hit up an open mic last night. The last several months have been dedicated to restructuring rather than playing. About a half hour before we went on I was bitching about my bass(my backup Rondobird) having frets. I hate not playing fretless, but my main is currently being refinished. So my brother said "Why don't you just take them out now?" So I put my bass up on the bar and used his pliers to pull the frets. It took two minutes, they timed it. I stopped for some rum and coke and also to clap for the act playing at the time. There are 2 tiny chips, no major chipping. I had no tools to resetup the bass and I did it with the strings still on, but when we hit the stage it was still in tune and almost intoned. There were a couple of rough spots in one song where I had to find where the 5th fret G note on the D string was hiding, but I was right on for 90% of our stuff. I was even singing a little better than usual, especially when we played Sloop John B. I'd like everyone who plays fretless and sings lead vocals in the band to rally here.

• Members

Yeah, I didn't have time to fill in the slots with glue. I didn't have the glue there either. The soundman gave us a CD of our set, and I didn't notice any noise from the spaces. I couldn't hear anything on stage either, but I was using my preamp as a tube DI so I was only coming out of the mains, I had no amp on stage. I may post a sound clip after I mess with the CD some, it's all 1 track. Next week I'll install some abalone fret markers. Hopefully by next week I'll be done with the clearcoat on my main.

• Members

I can understand about watching your bass being worked on. I can do a very good job working on the fingerboard, but the body gives me trouble. If you get a couple of books and some tools, you can learn a lot and maybe even eliminate the need for a tech.

Archived