Looking to strengthen my head voice

The Professiona

• Members

I'm looking to find some particular exercise techniques to strengthen my head voice. I would like to make a bit more use of it, I'm pretty sure (through a bit of testing) that my natural singing voice falls in the dramatic tenor range, and I just want to find some ways to cultivate it. Any thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?

Thanks!

PS - And if any advice you send me could help me sound a bit more like Jay Clifford, I'll award cookies.

• Members

There's no particular special exercises to force you to use your head voice. It's more about knowledge and experience; scales and arpeggios are the same throughout the range.

The term head voice suggests that you'd use more of the resonant cavity above your soft palate. You should also first become really comfortable with your falsetto.

• Members

I'm looking to find some particular exercise techniques to strengthen my head voice. I would like to make a bit more use of it, I'm pretty sure (through a bit of testing) that my natural singing voice falls in the dramatic tenor range, and I just want to find some ways to cultivate it. Any thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?

Thanks!

PS - And if any advice you send me could help me sound a bit more like Jay Clifford, I'll award cookies.

Can you easily and effortlessly hit the notes, but you dont have any resonance to them?

or are you having trouble just singing using the head voice?

Maybe include some audio.

Are you singing using Speech level Singing? Are your head and chest voice connected already?

I will tell you what I do to add resonance (assuming you are using SLS), but it might not work for you, and Im NOT a teacher.

The most important thing is to ensure you are using proper technique, and that your throat is open and your larynx is low but relaxed. ( This part is very tough to teach... You really need a teacher or a good instruction CD for this).

Once you have this, you need to stylize it.

I open the mouth more, almost sorta yawning before I sing a powerful head voice... again this might not work for you. The voice almost comes out with an operatic crying feeling.

Finally, I try to get the voice to vibrate everywhere in my mouth and face but for whatever reason, I put special attention to upper back of the throat. I actually have sorta a sweet spot, where the sound comes out really nice. This is really hard to explain, and I know everyone's head vibrates differently, so just try experimenting with different areas of vibration.

• Members

The most important thing is to ensure you are using proper technique, and that your throat is open and your larynx is low but relaxed. ( This part is very tough to teach... You really need a teacher or a good instruction CD for this).

Once you have this, you need to stylize it.

I open the mouth more, almost sorta yawning before I sing a powerful head voice... again this might not work for you. The voice almost comes out with an operatic crying feeling.

Finally, I try to get the voice to vibrate everywhere in my mouth and face but for whatever reason, I put special attention to upper back of the throat. I actually have sorta a sweet spot, where the sound comes out really nice. This is really hard to explain, and I know everyone's head vibrates differently, so just try experimenting with different areas of vibration.

Yeah, that does sound hard to explain...

I will say that I'm wary of teachers, because I've seen plenty of instances in my music career of musicians who have had vocal "trainers," that have given them problems. It could simply be (and mayhaps is) that the student in said situations just forced himself too much, but I've heard enough stories of forceful teachers, or teachers who teach the wrong techniques, that it makes me a bit anxious.

How should I go about finding a proper teacher? I've never looked for a vocal trainer before.

• Members

Yes, that's my issue. I have no real strength and presence with my head voice. I can sing falsetto pretty well, and I know how to access my head voice, just not how to get anything out of it.

Yeah, that does sound hard to explain...

I will say that I'm wary of teachers, because I've seen plenty of instances in my music career of musicians who have had vocal "trainers," that have given them problems. It could simply be (and mayhaps is) that the student in said situations just forced himself too much, but I've heard enough stories of forceful teachers, or teachers who teach the wrong techniques, that it makes me a bit anxious.

How should I go about finding a proper teacher? I've never looked for a vocal trainer before.

Make sure they know and teach SLS. I believe they have a certification for this. Otherwise, you will not get what you are looking for.

For the time being, you may want to try humming, as a very beginning step to develop a very basic head voice coordination. Just simple scales using relaxed humming.

Archived