Chicago Forumites: Looking For A Place To Gig

Thunderbroom

• Members

YFC is looking for a gig on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

Ideally, we're looking for a place that is somewhat centrally located in the Chicagoland area as our band members are spread out pretty far and wide.

Any suggestions...connections...would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by Cortfan

Jeff, in my experience, that week, and the weekend after are totally dead in bars and such. Your mileage may vary, but a lot of bars practically close up for that week. I wish you luck, anyway.

Around these parts, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving is a prime date. College kids are home for the holidays and ready to tie one on before hanging out with their families on Thursday for Thanksgiving.

• Members

getting into new bars is the single hardest thing I've encountered in getting a band rolling. A close second being finding members that get along.

EVERY bar we've gotten into has been through a personal connection. That's why we try and open doors for as many new bands as we can, because people have done the same for us.

Also, most bars worth playing are ussually booked a month in advance.

• Members

Originally posted by narcolepticbass

the only thing I don't like about that place(and quite a few other Chicago bars are like it), the door guy asks you what band you're there to see and they tally it to divvy out the pay. Needless to say an out of towner would be screwed unless they've got some good promotion going.

That stuff is completely evil. Makes me happy I live in Austin.

Archived