xpost: KSD Jazz (short) review...

sheepdog

• Members

I'll have to weigh the thing, but let's just say that thank goodness I've been working out. It's a 5 string ash body, what do you expect?

Construction is fantastic. Real MOP block inlays. Tight neck joint. Smooth finish. Excellent grain on the ash.

The (9v) preamp is better than I thought it would be. Boost and cut, but not sure about which frequencies. I think it is a standard Ken Smith BT preamp circuit. I tested it out with the preamp set flat and alternating between passive and active (flat eq). Other than an obvious increase in volume from the boost, I did not detect any additional coloring of the tone. Fairly transparent, which is ideal for me. The boost and cut for bass and treble were usable over the entire boost and cut. Some preamps seems to boost frequencies beyond any usable levels, but not this one. Lots of different possibilities. Can't wait to see what the series mod will sound like with the treble rolled all the way off. Interesting...

Haven't played the bass enough to get a good idea of the pickups. I did discover (as stated earlier), that I can easilly fix the neck pickup misalignment. (It is only noticable because I am obsessive about things. Not a big deal at all. Does not appear to affect the tone at all) I'll have to trim the pickguard a (tiny) bit to make it fit if I move the pickup, but that is ok. It's getting replaced anyway. Not a major movement of the pickup, just a slight adjustment. The pickups definately seemed to have more bottom than other standard jazz pickups, but still gave a good jazz tone.

• Members

Originally posted by Texas Noise Factory

Pretty. I bet that has some nice growl. I like the "early jazz" controls.

those are actually getting swapped out. I'm adding a passive tone control and using the black jazz knobs. If I decide I want to upgrade the preamp, I might get an OBP3 and use a mid control instead of the passive tone. That is way in the future, though. Sounds great right now.

Archived