OT: Starting my new CNC career Monday...

RoboChrist

• Members

...and I'm nervous as hell! I got the full tour today and it looks like a dream company which does mold and pattern making for consumer and automotive industries. They even have their own foundry, nothing is outsourced.

the only problem is my experience. It's zero. I graduated from a two year college program and that was two years ago, that's it...no on-the-job experience. Help!

If any CNC guys or machinists out there can give me some advice on this exciting and ever growing career, I really appreciate it

• Members

Originally posted by RoboChrist

...and I'm nervous as hell! I got the full tour today and it looks like a dream company which does mold and pattern making for consumer and automotive industries. They even have their own foundry, nothing is outsourced.

the only problem is my experience. It's zero. I graduated from a two year college program and that was two years ago, that's it...no on-the-job experience. Help!

If any CNC guys or machinists out there can give me some advice on this exciting and ever growing career, I really appreciate it

Ive grown up on a CNC machine shop. Most CNC operators will be trained on the job with no experience, so yours is fairly typical. Its no difficult to run or even progam a CNC machine, machine setup can be tricky, but chances are you wont see any of that for a few years.

Most guys we hire come in with no experience and are running a machine well in a week and picking up the knowledge as they go. Thats how its been done in this industry forever.

Good luck and most importanat be safe!:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by sultan417

Ive grown up on a CNC machine shop. Most CNC operators will be trained on the job with no experience, so yours is fairly typical. Its no difficult to run or even progam a CNC machine, machine setup can be tricky, but chances are you wont see any of that for a few years.

Most guys we hire come in with no experience and are running a machine well in a week and picking up the knowledge as they go. Thats how its been done in this industry forever.

Good luck and most importanat be safe!
:thu:

Thanks for the advice guys!

Edit: Shop is located on the northern boundary of the city of Toronto. Steeles and Weston Rd.

• Members

Been in the buisness for about 8 years. Keep your ears and eyes open, and you'll learn a lot. You're entering a field where to truly succeed you'll need to know about the same amount of info as a doctor. There are very few people in this buisness with experience, and far fewer who are any good at it so if you get good you stand a chance to make some good money. DO NOT let the stress and frustration get to you. This job can be aggravating as hell but I think it's also a lot of fun. If you can manage the stress you'll be in good shape(a lot of people bail after a year). Be a sponge, there will always be more to this field than anyone can learn in a lifetime.

Archived