OT - digital vs analog flat panel monitor

chris dax

• Members

Just FYI... there's no such thing as an anolog flat screen... all flat screens are digital; if it were analog, it would be back up to the size of a CRT monitor. "flat screen" is used in conjunction with CRT's to describe one whose actual glass is not curved. Dunno if this was pointed out yet, didn't RTFT :D

• Members
Originally posted by megadan

Just FYI... there's no such thing as an anolog flat screen... all flat screens are digital; if it were analog, it would be back up to the size of a CRT monitor. "flat screen" is used in conjunction with CRT's to describe one whose actual glass is not curved. Dunno if this was pointed out yet, didn't RTFT
:D

True, but the connection to the computer will be either analog or digital, so using the terms in reference to a flat panel is valid - it simply means the type of signal it receives from the video card. :)

• Members

Yep. One way you've got an extra analog conversion that doesn't need to be there. My card only has one DVI and one D-SUB output, and with the two panels side-by-side next to each other on my table, you can indeed tell there's a bit of a difference. If you weren't looking at them simultaneously you probably wouldn't notice, though.

I recommend digital (DVI) not just because it's "better", but because it's the way things will be moving in the future. High end video cards don't even have D-SUB connectors on them, and while you can get an adapter to convert a DVI plug to a 15-pin one, why not just get prepared now?

• Members

Only thing I don't like about the LCD on my HP notebook is I can't see it from any angle anymore. I had a big friggin' 19" Gateway that was about 4 years old that just was great, but now I have this notebook (that I can't wait to get rid of for a number of reasons) and it sucks cause I like to watch a lot of movies and video clips from all over my room, so the screen kind of poses a problem for that. But, oh well! The resolution isn't bad, though. And it's a HD display, so I don't complain too bad.

Archived